In addition to the Flying Blue transfer bonus that we wrote about earlier, Capital One is also offering a 20% bonus when transferring Capital One Miles to British Airways Avios (and thus potentially to Aer Lingus, Iberia and Qatar as well). With the bonus, the transfer rate is 1 Mile – 1.2 Avios.
The recent addition of Qatar Airways to Avios has made the program even more interesting by adding a fourth airline into the mix. In some cases, it’s even improved pricing as BA recently lowered their award price on Qsuites to/from Doha to 70,000 Avios, meaning 58,400 C1 miles will get you there with this transfer bonus.
Keep an eye out for Aer Lingus as well (both on their site and via BA). We found a bunch of availability recently for July/August…worth seeing if something pops up in the near future that’s bookable with Avios.
To learn how to transfer Avios between the various programs, see Greg’s terrific post here.
- Transfer Capital One Miles to British Airways Avios during the month of August and get a 20% bonus (1 Mile – 1.2 Avios).
- Expires 8/31/22 to 11:59pm EDT
- Rewards can only be transferred to a Loyalty Program registered to the exact username on the Capital One account. If the account information doesn’t match, the transfer may be delayed.
- Business class to Europe from 34K one-way via Iberia. This is probably my favorite Avios redemption and have one booked this year already. Iberia charges as few as 34K miles off-peak for one-way in business class on its own flights from New York, Boston, Chicago, or DC to Madrid during off-peak season. The fuel surcharges are quite reasonable and they also run seasonal promotions (usually during the Winter) where the prices drop down even further.
- Business class South America from 22K one-way via British Airways. I've used this once and availability can be tricky to find. But when you can find it, BA has excellent pricing for shorter distance non-stop American Airlines award flights.
- North America in economy from 11K round trip via Iberia. Iberia has a distance-based award chart that can be very useful for short itineraries on both Alaska and American Airlines (even those with connections) without the close-in booking fee of AA. See: From 11K RT on American: A sweet spot for North American flight redemptions.
Things to know
- Avios Purchases are processed by Points.com and DO NOT count as airfare.
- Avios can be easily transferred between Aer Lingus, Iberia and British Airways
- Avios expire after 36 months of no activity
- British Airways has near-extortionate fuel surcharges when flying on BA metal. It's best to keep Avios for use with partners or the Iberia Plus
Other Transfer Bonuses
|Transfer From||Transfer Bonus Details||End Date Sortable|
|Amex||20% Transfer Bonus from Amex Membership Rewards to Cathay Pacific Asia Miles.||2022/8/31|
|Capital One||20% Transfer Bonus from Capital One to British Airways Avios||2022/8/31|
|Capital One||20% Transfer Bonus from Capital One to Air France/KLM Flying Blue||2022/8/31|
|Citi||25% Transfer Bonus from Citi ThankYou to Avianca LifeMiles||2022/8/31|
|Chase||50% Transfer Bonus from Chase Ultimate Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy||2022/8/19|
|Chase||50% Transfer Bonus from Chase Ultimate Rewards to IHG One Rewards||2022/8/15|