Recently, each of the domestic US airlines has announced that they are eliminating change fees. That’s awesome. But the details can be hard to remember. Which fare classes apply? Do we keep the fare difference if the new flight is cheaper? Are standby fees eliminated too? What’s happening with award change fees? The answer to each of these questions differs by airline. This post offers a few quick reference tables to answer those questions.
- JetBlue has extended change and cancellation waivers for all fares (including Blue Basic fares) through 5/31/21.
- Hawaiian Airlines has extended change and cancellation waivers for all fares (including Main Cabin Basic) through 40/30/21
- United now offers electronic travel certificates when switching to a lower fare! This is big news because, other than Hawaiian Airlines, they were the only U.S. airline that allowed free changes but didn’t offer the fare difference for future travel. H/T TPG.
- Alaska, Delta, and United have extended waivers for basic economy fares purchased through April 30th. That means that even the usually non-changeable and non-cancellable basic economy fares can be changed and cancelled for free as long as tickets were purchased by 4/30/2021 (even if travel is later than that). Note that AA,
Hawaiian, and JetBluehave not yet issued similar waiver extensions.
Airlines are waiving all fees (including basic economy tickets) for tickets issued during the pandemic. The end date for this policy varies by airline:
|Fees waived for tickets issued by:||3/31/21||4/30/21||4/30/21||4/30/21||4/30/21||5/31/21|
|Includes Basic Economy?||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Includes Award Change Fees?||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Includes Award Cancellation Fees?||Yes||Yes||Yes, when cancelled more than 30 days before departure.||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Other Info||Change fees are waived for all fares except Basic Economy through May 31, 2021 (i.e. 30 day requirement kicks in for tickets purchased June 1 and later)|
Permanent Paid Fare Change Fees
Here are the situations in which change fees are permanently waived post-pandemic:
|Basic Economy||Fees NOT waived||Fees NOT waived||Fees NOT waived||Fees NOT waived||Fees NOT waived||Fees NOT waived|
|All other paid tickets||Fees waived on all flights originating in North or South America.||Fees waived on all flights originating in North America.||Fees waived on all flights originating in the United States.||Fees waived for all routes||Fees waived for all routes||Fees waived for all routes|
|What if new flight is cheaper?||Fare difference preserved for future flight||Fare difference preserved for future flight
||Fare difference preserved for future flight||Greg’s guess: Fare difference preserved for future flight||Fare difference preserved for future flight||Greg’s guess: Fare difference preserved for future flight|
Award Ticket Fees
Here are the situations in which award change fees are permanently waived post-pandemic:
|Change Fees Waived for These Routes:||Change fees waived for all routes
||Fees waived on all flights originating in North America.||US 50 States, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands||Change fees waived for all routes||Change fees waived for all routes||Change fees waived for all routes|
|Cancellation Fees Waived for These Routes:||Cancellation fees waived for all routes||Fees waived on all flights originating in North America.||Cancellation fees waived for all routes when cancelled more than 30 days before departure.||Details Not Yet Announced.||N/A. Hawaiian charges $30.00 for tickets wholly within Hawaii; $150.00 all other tickets
||Cancelation fees waived for all routes|
Same Day Changes
So far, only AA and United have announced the elimination of same day change fees. I’ve left cells blank where no announcement has been made:
|Same Day Standby
||Free for all members as of Oct 1 2020.||Free for all members as of Jan 1 2021.|
|Same Day Confirmed
||Free for all elite (Premier) members.|
Other Changes and Enhancements
Delta flight credits valid through December 31, 2022
All all ticket vouchers expiring in 2021 and vouchers from all new tickets purchased in 2021 will expire on December 31, 2022. Details here.
Delta eliminates 72 hour award change rule for domestic flights
Delta has issued the following statement:
Effective immediately, Delta is making the following permanent changes for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands):
- Eliminating the $150 redeposit fee to cancel an award ticket and the $150 reissue fee to change an award ticket for all SkyMiles Members. This covers travel on all tickets, excluding Basic Economy fares.
- Allowing changes and cancellations on award tickets before departure for all SkyMiles Members, excluding Basic Economy fares. No longer will changes and cancellations made within 72 hours of departure result in the loss of miles on domestic award tickets.
AA Changes Basic Economy
American Airlines announced a number of changes to basic economy:
Later this fall, members who have achieved Elite status with the AAdvantage® program will receive the benefits they’re accustomed to no matter the ticket they purchase. In addition to enjoying Priority Access/Preferred Boarding, our elite members who purchase a Basic Economy fare will now be able to access their:
- Upgrade privileges.
- Elite seat privileges, including access to Main Cabin Preferred and Main Cabin Extra seats.
- Same-day confirmed flight change benefit.
Effective Jan. 1, 2021, Basic Economy tickets will no longer earn elite qualifying dollars, miles or segments toward future status.
As airlines continue eliminating change fees, we’ll continue to update this post.
Previous Updates to this Post
- UPDATE 2/17/2021: JetBlue has eliminated change and cancellation fees except for Blue Basic fares. That’s the good news. The bad news is that Blue Basic fares no longer offer free carry-on bags.
- 12/14/20: A Delta spokesperson has confirmed that the elimination of change fees for flights from North America to anywhere in the world applies also to award tickets.
- 12/9/20: Delta has eliminated change fees for Delta tickets when flying from North America to anywhere in the world. Additionally, Delta has extended the existing waiver of no change fees for all tickets purchased through March 30, 2021 (prev Dec 31), for travel at any time to anywhere. Similarly, United has eliminated change fees for United-issued tickets originating in the United States. And, like Delta, United has extended their pandemic change fee waiver for all tickets purchased through March 31, 2021 (prev Dec 31 2020).
- 11/19/20: AA has eliminated change fees for international tickets originating in North America or South America.
- 11/10/20: American Airlines has eliminated all award change and redeposit fees for both AA and partner flights! Phone booking fees are eliminated too.
- 9/22/20: Among other enhancements, Delta has announced the removal of change, cancel, and redeposit fees for domestic awards. For these awards they’ve also removed the 72 hour-in-advance requirement. I’ve updated the tables below accordingly.
- 9/9/20: United has announced that they’ve extended the elimination of change fees to include Mexico and the Caribbean. H/T View from the Wing