|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
British Airways is offering 30% bonus Avios when transferring points from many hotel partners. Most of the ratios are awful and so aren’t worth considering, although there’s the potential to get some good value by transferring Marriott Bonvoy points.
- Convert hotel points into Avios and earn 30% bonus Avios.
- Direct link to offer.
- Offer valid March 1-31, 2019.
- Participating loyalty programs are:
- Marriott Bonvoy
- Hilton Honors
- IHG Rewards Club
- World of Hyatt
- Radisson Rewards
- Shangri-La Golden Circle
As mentioned earlier, with nearly all these hotel partners it’s not going to be worth transferring to Avios due to the poor transfer ratios:
- Marriott Bonvoy – 3:1 (minimum transfer 9,000 points)
- Hilton Honors – 10:1 (minimum transfer 10,000 points)
- IHG Rewards Club – 5:1 (minimum transfer 10,000 points)
- World of Hyatt – 2.5:1 (minimum transfer 5,000 points + 5,000 Avios bonus when transferring 50,000 World of Hyatt points)
- Radisson Rewards – 10:1 (minimum transfer 2,000 points)
- Shangri-La Golden Circle – 1:1 (minimum transfer 2,500 points)
There are two scenarios where this promotion might make sense. The first is if you have a small number of points that are due to expire. Exchanging them for a few hundred/thousand Avios might be preferable, although with nearly all the hotel schemes listed above, the minimum transfer amount can get you a free night’s stay so even this isn’t necessarily a great option.
The main scenario worth considering though is Marriott Bonvoy. That’s because if you transfer 60,000 points at a time, you’ll earn 32,500 Avios. The way the math works is that 60,000 points would normally convert to 20,000 Avios. When transferring in increments of 60,000 points, you ordinarily get a bonus of 5,000 Avios, giving you a total of 25,000 Avios. Add on the 30% bonus from this promotion and you end up with 32,500 Avios, or 1 Avios for every 1.85 Marriott Bonvoy points.
Something important to note is that the 30% bonus isn’t awarded straight away. In fact, it can take weeks or even a couple of months to be credited to your account, so you’ll need to bear that in mind if you’re planning on making a redemption in the near future.