|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Capital One Miles is offering a 20% transfer bonus to Air France / KLM Flying Blue through 4:59am ET on December 1, 2021. This could make for a great stack if you’re able to find discounted awards from Chicago or Miami as part of this month’s Promo Rewards.
- Capital One is offering a 20% transfer bonus when converting Capital One Miles to Air France KLM Flying Blue. This brings the transfer ratio to 1,000 Capital One Miles = 1,200 Flying Blue Miles
- Valid from 11/1/21 to 4:59am EDT on 12/1/21
- Rewards can only be transferred to a Loyalty Program registered to the exact username on the Capital One account. If the account information doesn’t match, the transfer may be delayed.
Now that Flying Blue (and all partner airlines) ordinarily transfer 1:1 from Capital One, the transfer bonus here means you’ll get 1.2 Flying Blue miles for every 1 Capital One mile. That’s a terrific deal for Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card holders or Capital One Spark Miles for Business credit card holders whose effective earn rate becomes 2.4 Flying Blue miles per dollar spent.
Sweetening the deal a bit further yet, Capital One miles can be transferred in increments of 100 (note there is a minimum transfer of 1,000 miles), so you can more precisely transfer what you need and orphan fewer miles after booking your award. That could be perfect if combined with this month’s Flying Blue Promo Rewards, which feature flights from Chicago and Miami on sale.
If you just need to top off your Flying Blue account to book an award, keep in mind that Capital One Miles post to your Capital One account within a few days of making a purchase. Unlike most issuers that wait until your statement cuts to post rewards from purchases, you do not need to wait until your next statement to gain access to Capital One miles.
As always, we don’t recommend making a speculative transfer. Only transfer miles if you have an immediate of very near-term use in mind. We’ve seen Capital One offer transfer bonuses to Air France a few times in the past. While I’d wondered whether those would repeat now that the transfer ratio is 1:1, this offer tells us that they likely will.
- Air France Flying Blue Promo Rewards. Each month, Air France offers discounted award rates for a number of routes. Sometimes we see economy flights from the US to Europe available for less than 11,000 miles one-way.
- Fly to Israel for the same award price as to Europe. For example, you may see business class flights from the U.S. to Tel Aviv for as low as 55,000 miles one-way.
- Delta economy flights between the US and Hawaii for 17,500 miles one-way. Air France also has great award prices for Delta first class to Hawaii, but Delta rarely releases first class award space on its Hawaii routes.
- Air France awards usually incur taxes and fees.
- Award availability may be hard to find. Acquire Flying Blue miles only if you know that the awards you want are available.
- Flying Blue miles expire 2 years after they are earned. Keeping miles alive beyond two years is… weird:
- As long as you don’t credit any flying activity to your account, you can renew your miles by acquiring more miles through non-flight activity. For example, transferring miles from a transferable points program will renew these miles.
- If you earn miles by crediting flight activity to your account, then all of your miles become flight activity miles and can only be extended by taking an eligible flight (and crediting it to Flying Blue), or by being an elite member, or making a purchase with your Air France / KLM Flying Blue credit card.
- For more details, see: Air France’s Flying Blue miles are easier to extend than I thought