Citi is out with a new offer where you can score as many as 60,000 AAdvantage Miles when opening a new checking account. These seem to be targeted through both e-mail and regular mail, although a few folks have reported finding the offer when just logging into their Citi account. (h/t: Frequent Miler Insiders)
The title of the e-mail includes “enjoy all the benefits of being a Citi Cardmember, plus earn up to 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles.” (h/t: Tom, FMI)
- Citi is sending targeted mailers and e-mails for AAdvantage miles bonuses when opening a new eligible checking account.
- Within 60 days of account opening, make debit card purchases in the specified amounts (see chart below) and make two or more enhanced direct deposits totaling $1,000 or more..
- Your AAdvantage Bonus Miles will be credited to your open, eligible AAdvantage account within 90 calendar days from the date you complete all Required Activities.
What is an “enhanced direct deposit?”
I had to look it up myself, here’s Citi’s definition:
An Enhanced Direct Deposit is an electronic deposit through the Automated Clearing House (“ACH”) Network of payroll, pension, social security, government benefits and other payments to your checking, savings or MMA account. An Enhanced Direct Deposit also includes all deposits via Zelle and other P2P payments when made via ACH using providers such as Venmo or PayPal. Teller deposits, cash deposits, check deposits, wire transfers, transfers between Citibank accounts, ATM transfers and deposits, mobile check deposits, and P2P payments using a debit card do not qualify as a Direct Deposit.
Terms and Conditions
- You can not have owned a Citi checking account in the last 180 days.
- You must be a primary Citi credit cardmember.
- You must have received the offer directly from Citi to be eligible to participate in this promotion.
- Unless expressly prohibited, Eligible Customers can participate in other Citibank AAdvantage American Airlines promotions, which award miles; however, no Eligible Customer can be awarded more than 120,000 AAdvantage miles total (multiple awards allowed) within any 365-day period.
If you’re targeted, this seems like a terrific deal. In the past, the top bonuses in these Citi offers have been based on opening accounts that have significant balance requirements (or charge fees). The most basic account eligible here only requires a $1500 minimum balance or it assesses $30/month in fees. The differentiation in bonus is between different levels of debit card spend, with the 60K bonus reached at only $1,000 over 90 days.
On the surface, the “Enhanced Direct Deposit” requirements seems very simple as well, since it includes all deposits via Zelle and also person-to-person payments made via ACH when using Venmo or PayPal. That’s about as easy as it gets.
If you’ve been targeted for this, it’s worth taking a good look at it; this is one of the lower-effort, higher-reward bank account bonuses that I’ve seen for awhile. The e-mail went to the junk folder for many folks, so it’s worth taking a look there by seaching for “Citi Checking” or “enjoy all the benefits of being a Citi Cardmember, plus earn up to 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles,” even if you don’t think you received it.