Amex has newly targeted some cardholders with a bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points when adding a single authorized user and spending $2,000 on eligible purchases in the first 6 months on that additional card.
- Amex is targeting some cardholders for a bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points after adding an additional card member who spends $2,000 in eligible purchases on their card in the first 6 months.
- Add one or more new Additional Card Members to your account and you can earn 20,000 Membership Rewards points for the first Additional Card Member that spends $2,000 or more in eligible purchases on their Card within their first 6 months of Card Membership starting from the date on which the Additional Card Member is added. The maximum you can earn as part of this offer is 20,000 Membership Rewards points.
- Purchases made by other Additional Card Members on your Account will not count toward the $2,000 purchase requirement. Purchases made by eligible Additional Card Members will not be combined to satisfy the $2,000 purchase requirement. Your purchases as the Basic Card Member will not count toward the $2,000 purchase requirement.
- You can earn 20,000 Membership Rewards® points after the Additional Card Member spends $2,000 or more on eligible purchases on their Card within their first 6 months of Card Membership starting from the date on which the Additional Card Member is added. In rare instances, the Additional Card Member’s period to spend $2,000 may be shorter than 6 months if there is a delay in receiving their Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 6 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date they made the transaction. (For example, if they buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped).
- The 20,000 Membership Rewards® points will be applied 8-12 weeks after the Threshold Amount is met.
- If we in our sole discretion determine that you or your Additional Card Members have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with this offer in any way or intend to do so (for example, if you added one or more Additional Cards to obtain an offer(s) that we did not intend for you; or if you or your Additional Card Members cancel or return purchases made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards® points to, we may freeze Membership Rewards® points credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards® points from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you and your Additional Card Members may have with us.
- Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards; person-to-person payments; or purchases of other cash equivalents.
Amex occasionally targets cardholders with a bonus of 5,000 points for each of up to 4 additional cardholders with minimum purchase activity. Getting 20,000 points for a single authorized user is a fantastic deal. Cashed out at 1.25c per point via the Schwab Platinum card that’s a value of $250 for adding an additional cardholder and making $2K in purchases on their card. Strategic use of transfer partners can obviously be even more valuable.
My wife was targeted for this deal. It didn’t show up in her email or Amex Offers but rather popped up as an offer at the top of her account.
The link to add a card member took her to the landing page shown at the top of this post which outlines the offer and terms. Here is a link that might work to add this bonus (but YMMV if you weren’t targeted in terms of whether Amex will honor it and/or claw points back).
Keep in mind that Amex charges $175 for up to 3 additional Platinum cards, but additional Gold cards are free (do not confuse this with the Amex Gold card — an additional card member Gold card under a Platinum account does not have any of the benefits of the standalone Gold card). My wife added someone as an additional Gold card since they didn’t need Platinum benefits and it is clear that the 20K bonus still applies. On the other hand, 20K points would certainly defray the cash cost of of adding additional cardmembers for someone who does have friends or family who would appreciate Platinum card benefits.
Overall, this is a great bonus if you’re able to take advantage of it, particularly if you’ll be spending on the card anyway.