Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Limited-time offer: $300 cash back as a statement credit after $3K in the first 6 months. Terms Apply. (Rates & Fees)
(Offer Expires 12/10/2020)
Click Here to Apply
No Annual Fee First Year, Then $95
Recent better offer: Up to $350: 10% cash back on purchases at U.S. Restaurants in the first 6 months, up to $200 back. Plus, earn $150 back after $1K spend in 3 months. (Expired 5/3/17)
FM Mini Review: Solid cash back option, especially for those who spend a lot at US Supermarkets and US gas stations
Card Type: Amex Credit Card
Earning rate: ⚬ 6% cash back at US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%) ⚬ 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions. ⚬ 3% Cash Back on transit (includes taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more). 3% cash back US gas stations ⚬ 1% cash back on other purchases ⚬ Terms apply.
Noteworthy perks: Terms Apply. (Rates & Fees)
The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express offers 6% cash back at US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 3% cash back at US gas stations, and 1% on all other eligible purchases.
This card is a very good option for those with a lot of grocery and gas station spend. I recommend pairing this card with a card that earns better than 1% cash back for all other spend. See: Best rewards for everyday spend.
If you prefer to earn transferable points for travel, consider the similar Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card which has great earning potential everywhere as long as you use the card at least 30 times each billing cycle in order to earn a 50% point bonus.
Amex Application Tips
- Safe to Apply: Amex is the safest bank for trying your luck at a new welcome bonus. They don’t usually issue a hard pull when denying your application. Plus, they’ll now warn you during the application process if you’re not eligible for the bonus.
- Lifetime Rule: If you've ever had the same card before, you are most likely prohibited from getting a welcome bonus for the card if you apply now. Fortunately you'll be warned during the application process if this is the case. Amex is known to "forget" that you've had a card after about 7 years.
- 5/90 Rule: In general, you can get at most one credit card within 5 days and 2 within 90 days. The 5 day limit is not enforced when your applications are automatically approved. Neither rule is enforced for charge cards.
- 5 credit card max:Amex usually won't approve applications for new credit cards if you already have 4 or more Amex credit cards or 10 or more charge cards.
- Better Offers: You may be able to get a better offer than the best available public offer. Details here.
- Hard inquiries combine into 1 when approved same day
Check application status here.
If denied, call reconsideration: 877-399-3083 (new accountholders); 866-314-0237 (current accountholders)
How to Meet Spend Requirements
In order to meet minimum spend requirements, people often look for options to increase spend in ways that result in getting their money back. These techniques are referred to as "manufacturing spend". American Express has terms in their welcome offers that exclude some manufactured spend techniques
from counting towards the minimum spend requirements for the welcome bonus. For example, most new cardmember bonuses have terms like this:
Eligible purchases to meet the Threshold Amount do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents.
That said, many techniques for meeting minimum spend are perfectly fine. Here are some techniques that are safe for meeting Amex minimum spend requirements (click each link for more information):
Related Cards (Amex cash back cards)