Chase’s best-ever bonus for opening a new checking and savings account is back again. Until 4/19/23, you can earn $900 when you open a new Chase Total Checking Account and a new Chase Savings account. In order to get the bonus, you have to set up a direct deposit to the checking account and deposit a total of $15,000 into the savings account within 30 days, then maintain the balance for 90 days.
There are two parts to this deal
- Receive $300 after opening a new Chase Total Checking account and setting up a direct deposit.
- Receive $200 after opening a new Chase Savings account, depositing a total of $15,000 or more in new money within 30 business days, and then maintaining a $15,000 balance for 90 days.
- Receive $900 by doing both (an extra $400
- You can either apply online OR use your e-mail address to get a coupon that you can then take into a branch
Key Terms and Conditions
- Checking offer is not available to existing Chase checking customers. Savings offer is not available to existing Chase savings customers.
- Both offers are not available to those whose accounts have been closed within 90 days or closed with a negative balance within the last 3 years.
- You can receive only one new checking and one new savings account opening related bonus every two years from the last coupon enrollment date and only one bonus per account.
- To receive the checking bonus you must open a new Chase Total Checking account AND have your direct deposit made to this account within 90 days of coupon enrollment. Your direct deposit needs to be an electronic deposit of your paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employer or the government. Person to Person payments (such as Zelle®) are not considered a direct deposit.
- To receive the savings bonus you must open a new Chase savings account,deposit a total of $15,000 or more in new money into the new savings account within 30 days of coupon enrollment and maintain at least a $15,000 balance for 90 days from the coupon enrollment. The new money cannot be funds held by you at Chase or its affiliates.
- After you have completed all the above savings requirements, we’ll deposit the bonus in your new account within 15 days.
- To receive the extra bonus you must open the checking and savings account at the same time and complete all requirements above for BOTH the checking bonus and savings bonus. After you have completed all requirements, we will deposit the remaining bonus due in your new account within 15 days
- You need to have a Chase branch in your state in order to be eligible for this promotion. You can see if your state has one by using the branch locator here.
How to get account fees waived
The $15,000 that you’ll have in your savings account will keep both accounts free of fees.
Chase Total Checking
$12 Monthly Service Fee is waived by doing one of the following each statement period:
- Have monthly direct deposits totaling $500 or more made to this account
- Keep a minimum daily balance of $1,500 or more in your checking account
- Keep an average beginning day balance of $5,000 or more in any combination of this account and linked qualifying Chase checking, savings and other balances.
$5 Monthly Service Fee is waived by doing one of the following each statement period:
- Keep a minimum daily balance of $300 or more in your savings account
- Have at least one repeating automatic transfer of $25 or more from your Chase personal checking account (available only through Chase Online Banking)
- Have a linked Chase Premier Plus Checking, Chase Premier Platinum Checking, or Chase Private Client Checking account
Before we get into more details, a quick PSA. While I haven’t heard of many Chase shutdowns (where all of your credit cards are cancelled) over the years, those that I have seen are almost exclusively folks who had credit cards AND bank accounts. The theory is that having bank accounts puts more eyes on all your accounts and if a human notices marginal credit card behavior it can put you at risk. I’ve never opened a Chase banking account because of this. I may be a Nervous Nellie, but I get a lot of value from my relationship with Chase and I’d prefer to stay on the safe-ish side.
That said, for those who don’t indulge in manufactured spend activity with their Chase credit cards, this is as good as it gets. In P2 mode, you can earn $1800 and even reuse the same $15K if you signed-up for one account now and then transferred that money to P2’s account once the bonus credits. That’s a big hunk of change.
What Chase does and doesn’t consider a direct deposit is a little fudgy. Doctor of Credit maintains a kind-of updated list of what works. It’s worth consulting that before deciding whether or not you need to move any existing DD’s over.
These bonuses often go away before the official expiration date, so if you’re thinking about taking this one for a spin, I would go ahead and get a coupon code now, as that will be good until April 19th. If you’re in 2-player mode and plan on opening the accounts sequentially, get both codes now.
If you’ve got the cash lying around and don’t do much hanky-panky with your Chase credit cards, this offer is definitely worth a look.