Marriott has launched a new partnership today with both Uber and Uber Eats. By linking your accounts you can earn up to 6x bonus Bonvoy points for every dollar spent with the ridesharing and food ordering apps, as well as 2,000 bonus points when linking your accounts and making a qualifying transaction.
- Earn bonus Marriott Bonvoy points with Uber and Uber Eats in the following ways:
- 6x points per dollar on Uber Eats deliveries to Marriott brand hotels in the US with a $25 minimum basket.
- 2x points per dollar on Uber Eats deliveries to non-Marriott hotel locations and food pick-ups in the US with a $25 minimum basket.
- 3x points per dollar on Uber XL, Comfort & Black rides in the US.
- Earn 2,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points when linking your accounts and making a qualifying transaction.
- Direct link to offer.
- 2,000 bonus point offer – This bonus is a one-time offer that is open to all members of the Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program (each, a “Marriott Bonvoy Member”) who have not yet linked a Marriott Bonvoy account and Uber account. To qualify for and earn this limited time offer, a Marriott Bonvoy Member must (i) link his/her Marriott Bonvoy account on the Uber app, and (ii) after linking his/her Marriott Bonvoy account, complete a Qualifying Transaction by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 31, 2021. A “Qualifying Transaction” means (i) a ride taken with Uber XL, Uber Black, Uber SUV or Uber Comfort; or (ii) an order placed through Uber Eats in an amount of $25 U.S. dollars or more after the calculation of any applicable promotions or discounts (excluding taxes, fees, and tips), in each case, that occurs in the United States.
At first glance I thought earning 6x Marriott Bonvoy points on Uber Eats orders was a great offer seeing as there’s nothing you need to do beyond linking your accounts. However, you only earn 6x points on orders of $25+ and only when getting food delivered to hotels in the Marriott family.
For food deliveries elsewhere and pickup orders you only earn 2x points and you again have to have a minimum basket of $25. Still, if you ever order food from Uber Eats this is an easy way to earn bonus Marriott points due to not needing to do anything special after linking accounts.
Earning 3x points on Uber rides is also a pretty good offer, but note that you’ll only earn bonus points for Uber XL, Comfort and Black rides. If you normally pick UberX rides due to those being the lowest price, you won’t earn any Marriott points. 3x points isn’t a high enough rate to forgo the savings received by picking UberX over one of the higher priced options.
Something I’m not sure about is if the amount you end up paying with Uber Eats has to be $25 before taxes and fees. Uber Eats sometimes offers promo codes such as 50% off or $10 off when spending $25+. The terms from Marriott state that you need to have $25+ in your basket, so it remains to be seen as to whether adding $25 of food to your basket and using a promo code will earn you bonus points. Update: I’ve now added the terms for the 2,000 bonus points offer. Based on the wording in those terms, it looks like you need to spend $25 after any discounts and promotions and before taxes and fees. That means adding $25 to your basket and, for example, applying a 50% off promo code won’t be eligible for earning points with Marriott.
Seeing as Marriott points are earned by linking your accounts, it’ll stack with other offers. For example, you can earn 5.5% cashback when clicking through from the Dosh app (or 32% for your first Uber Eats order). You can pay using monthly Uber credits from personal Amex Platinum and Gold cards and/or with Uber gift cards you bought at a discount.
Update: To link your accounts, open the Uber app and then select Menu > Settings > Marriott Bonvoy in the Rewards section. You’ll then be prompted to log in to your Marriott account; once you’ve done that your accounts will be linked.