|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.
Chase appears to be sending out targeted spending offers using your card to pay select bills. Stephen received the following offer on his IHG card:
- New Chase targeted spending bonus on the IHG Rewards Club Credit Card (and possibly other cards) good for 5x bonus points on up to $2,000 in purchases when you pay select bills with your card between April 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019
- Email subject line says, “[Name], earn 5X bonus points on monthly bills.“
- 5X Points Offer: To be eligible for this offer, you must log on to the website referenced in this offer and enroll
- You’ll earn 5 bonus points total for each $1 spent, on up to $2,000 in total spend on combined purchases in the reward categories listed below during the promotional period (4 additional points on top of the 1 point earned on each purchase).
- After $2,000 on combined purchases in the reward categories listed below, you go back to earning 1 point for every dollar spent, with no maximum.
- For a purchase to qualify for this offer, the merchant must submit charges to your credit card by the last day of the promotional period All of your eligible purchases during the promotional period will be automatically counted, as long as you have enrolled
- Please allow up to 8 weeks after qualifying purchases post to your account for bonus points to post to your account.
- Rewards Categories: Internet, Cable, and Phone Service category merchants provide internet, cable, satellite television, radio, cellular, wireless data, and landline services. In addition, if you purchase or pay for your internet, cable and satellite television, phone or related services in a merchant’s store that is not registered by the merchant in the applicable services category, the purchase or payment will not qualify; for example, phone bill payments in a merchant’s store that register to Chase as a telephone equipment store. Utility category merchants provide electric, household fuel, water, and sanitation. Please note that purchases of equipment and some merchants that sell utility-related goods and services are not included; for example, electronics or other retail stores and merchants offering maintenance and cleaning services. Insurance category merchants provide health, automobile, homeowners, medical, and life insurance
As seen in the terms above, the types of merchants that qualify are Internet, Cable, and Phone Service, Utilities, and Insurance.
IHG points certainly aren’t the most valuable currency on the market, but earning 5x on these might not be a bad return if you have a good use for IHG points. On the other hand, you could use a Chase Ink Cash card to earn 5x Ultimate Rewards points on several of these merchant types, which would be a better return.
While this wouldn’t entice me to regularly put these bills on my IHG card, paying $2K worth of bills for 10K IHG points is something I might consider just to maintain my IHG balance for times when I could buy cash & points reservations cheaply. Unfortunately, I wasn’t targeted.
If you have received a similar offer on another Chase card, let us know the details in the comments — I imagine there may be similar offers on other co-brand cards.