Update 9/29: Capital One Shopping is now targeting some folks with even higher referral earnings. I’ve heard reports of up to $60 for each side and Stephen’s link below is now for $50 for each side. Nick and I both have the original $30 offer on our accounts, so these increased bonuses are at least somewhat targeted. Original post below. -Tim
A couple of months ago Capital One Shopping started offering $20 for both sides when referring someone to the shopping portal/browser extension. They’ve now enhanced that offer by giving 50% more to both sides which means both you and the person you refer can earn $30.
- Give $30-60 & get $30-60 when referring someone to the Capital One Shopping portal.
- Our referral links:
- To qualify for a referral sign up bonus, your refer-ee must be a new Capital One Shopping user, sign up and install the Capital One Shopping desktop computer or mobile browser extension via your referral link, and make Qualifying Purchase(s) totaling $10 within 30 days of signing up.
- Limit $300 in referral earnings.
- A Qualifying Purchase means a purchase via Capital One Shopping that earns Capital One Shopping Rewards.
- By participating in the referral program, you are telling your refer-ee that you’re a Capital One Shopping customer.
- Bonuses will be automatically applied to your account and your refer-ee’s account within 30 days after satisfying these requirements, but issuance may be delayed during the determination of whether a Qualifying Purchase has been made by a new user.
- You may only earn bonuses for a limited number of referrals per referral period.
- Bonuses will be awarded as Capital One Shopping Rewards, and are subject to the Capital One Shopping Terms of Service. We reserve the right to alter, change, or terminate this offer at any time without notice. Additional terms apply; please see the Capital One Shopping Terms of Service for more details.
Shopping portals like Rakuten and TopCashback sometimes run limited time referral promos where you can earn an increased bonus of $30, so it’s great to see Capital One Shopping joining the party.
Something that’s particularly nice about this referral offer is how good Capital One Shopping’s rates are. I was fairly late to the party as it took me several months to install the browser extension after Greg and Nick had been writing about the targeted offers they’d received. In a relatively short amount of time, I earned almost $1,500 through the portal which far outweighs how much I’ve earned through other portals during that time. That’s largely because Capital One Shopping frequently offers increased targeted rates of 10%-30% for all kinds of retailers including hotel chains, activity bookings on sites like Viator, etc.
If you have any purchases and/or bookings you need to make that aren’t time sensitive, it’s always worth perusing a website and doing a dummy booking or purchase (i.e. add something to your cart and go to check out, but cancel the transaction). A few days later, you’ll hopefully be targeted for an increased cashback rate from Capital One Shopping. That increased rate will sometimes come via email, but other times you’ll want to go to the home page of the portal, click ‘Filters’ and then search the list of merchants in that dropdown section as there’ll often be targeted increased offers there too. Be sure to check all the different rates listed in that ‘Filters’ section though. For example, when filtering for HP I currently have different offers giving 2%, 6%, 10% and 15%. There doesn’t seem to be any requirement to purchase the specific product listed with any given rate, so always click through the link advertising the highest cashback rate.
I’ve also had good luck with the portal tracking – and paying out on – transactions that other portals don’t which has helped boost my earnings.
Seeing as the spend requirement is only $10, perhaps the easiest way for your friend to hit that threshold so that they don’t forget about it is for them to buy a $10 gift card from Giftcards.com or GiftCardMall.