Chase has launched a new offer for Freedom cardholders, giving 5% cashback on gas purchases in February on up to $150 of spend.
- Earn 5% cashback on up to $150 of spend at gas stations on Chase Freedom, Freedom Flex & Freedom Unlimited cards.
- Direct link to enrollment.
- To be eligible for this bonus offer, you must activate by 02/28/2021 11:59 p.m. E.T. You will earn 5% Cash Back rewards total for each $1 spent in the gas station category on up to $150 in total combined purchases from 02/01/2021 to 02/28/2021.
- Total Cash Back rewards shown are the maximum you will earn on those purchases during the promotion, regardless of what you already earn on those purchases in your rewards program. For more information about Chase rewards categories, see chase.com/RewardsCategoryFAQs.
- Purchases posted to your account with a transaction date during the offer period are eligible for this offer. Delays by the merchant, such as shipping, could extend the transaction date beyond the offer period.
- Please allow up to 8 weeks after qualifying purchases post to your account for Cash Back rewards to post to your account.
- (“Purchases” do not include balance transfers, cash advances, travelers checks, foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers or similar cash-like transactions, lottery tickets, casino gaming chips, race track wagers or similar betting transactions, any checks that access your account, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, and fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.)
- To qualify for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.
- This bonus offer is non-transferable.
Before you get too excited about this offer, it’s 5% cashback on up to $150 of spend, rather than there being a limit of $150 cashback as that latter option would’ve meant you could earn 5% on up to $3,000 of spend.
Still, earning 5% cashback on gas could be useful for the month of February, especially if you have a premium card which would mean the Ultimate Rewards you earn can be transferred to travel partners.
Having said that, if you’ve picked up the personal Amex Platinum card in the past couple of months and are earning 10x Membership Rewards at gas stations, that’ll be a better payment option, although it doesn’t have to be an either/or thing. If you have a gas station near you which sells gift cards (such as Speedway), you could simply buy a $150 gift card in-store with whatever flavor of Freedom card(s) you have to quickly and easily lock in the 5x, especially if you’re concerned about Amex clawing back points earned on gift card purchases at 10x.