|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Southwest has been out with a promotion since earlier this month to earn double Rapid Rewards points when you register, book, and fly between April 6th and June 13th. While the promotion was been on for several weeks, a reader reached out on Twitter to remind us that we hadn’t posted it and it seemed noteworthy for those who have booked during the period – especially since the terms indicate to me that you must register prior to the commencement of travel, but you should still be eligible on a booking made before registration (provided you booked since April 6th).
- Double Rapid Rewards points when you register, book, and fly from April 6 – June 13th
- Earn bonus points as follows (these are in addition to your normal earnings):
- 12 bonus points per $ on Business Select fares
- 10 bonus points per $1 on Anytime fares
- 6 bonus points per dollar on Wanna Get Away fares
- Direct link to this promotion
- Must book and travel between April 6, 2018 and June 13, 2018
- Must register prior to travel
- Bonus points will not count toward A-List, A-List Preferred, or Companion Pass qualification
- Member will receive bonus points within four days after completion of entire ticket
- Charter flights, group travel, Companion Pass, Southwest Vacation packages, and reward travel do not qualify
- See promotion page for full terms
The terms of the offer indicate that you must register, book, and fly during the promotion period (April 6 – June 13). However, as noted at the top, the terms indicate that you must register prior to the commencement of travel – they do not state that you must register before booking. That said, you do have to book during the promo period — thus, if you booked a flight from April 6th onward and have not yet commenced travel, I believe you should still be able to register and earn double points. You will of course qualify for double points on any other bookings you make by June 13th provided you also travel by that date. This could be useful for price drops as you could cancel your flight and re-book. Thankfully, that process is now easier than before — See: Improved Southwest rebooking: easily see if prices went up or down). I just checked a couple of flights I have booked during the period and it only took a few seconds to see that it wouldn’t make sense to rebook those right now — but I’ll check on Tuesday since Southwest often begins sales on Tuesdays.
The terms do state that Companion Pass travel does not count, though I suspect they mean that the companion would not qualify. I expect that the primary pass holder would qualify for this promotion as he or she normally earns points on paid flights, but I am not positive on that point.
If you have travel during the period, it’s worth registering just in case you qualify — whether by your previous bookings or a fortunate re-booking during the travel period.
H/T: Robert for the reminder on Twitter