|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Update: Reader Max in the comments confirms that status applies on existing bookings, so you do not need to re-book during the promo period after all.
Southwest Airlines is sending out what must be a targeted offer for some members to register for free A-list status through June 30, 2021. You must register and confirm that promotional status is confirmed (the email says this takes 72hrs, but reader experience indicates that it is instant)
before booking travel in order to receive your benefits. Again, this is targeted (and presumably highly so).
- Southwest Airlines has sent a targeted email offering free promotional A-list status benefits through June 30, 2021 including:
- Priority boarding for everyone on your reservation
- 25% points bonus on qualified flights
- Same-day standby
- Priority check-in and security lane access where available
- Subject line of the email says “Greg, A-List status is all yours.” Those targeted will should also find a link to register under their “promotions” tab in their online account.
- Member must register for this promotion between March 26 and June 30, 2021 (“Promotional Time Period”) to qualify for promotional A-List status through June 30, 2021.
- Registration and promotional A-List status confirmation
must be completed prior to booking of travelto receive A-List benefits. (note that reader experience in the comments indicates that benefits apply even on travel booked before this promo was released)
- Promotional A-List status confirmation typically takes place within 72 hours of registration. (note that reader experience indicates that this has happened instantly for most)
- Log in to your account at Southwest.com® to verify your promotional A-List status.
- During the Promotional Time Period you will not receive an A-List card, but you will receive all A-List status benefits on all flights booked after registering when you provide your Rapid Rewards account number in your reservation.
- Valid on new reservations booked and flown within the Promotional Time Period only. (again, see the comments — benefits have applied for travel booked before the promo period)
If you are targeted, you should receive the email. Alternatively, if you log in to your account at Southwest.com and look for the “promotions” tab in the bottom left corner of the the “My account” page, you should find a link to register there if targeted.
As you can see in the screen shot at the top, Greg was targeted for this. Neither my wife nor I received the email or found anything under our promotions (though I’m actually kind of glad not to have found it this time since I don’t expect that we’ll fly before June 30th).
For those who are targeted and plan to travel during the promotional period, this is great. A-list benefits aren’t all that special compared to other airline elite statuses, but getting that priority check-in line and boarding behind the A group without needing to worry about what time you’ve checked in are nice perks when flights are busy (and it’s certainly possible that they are / will be on popular routes by the end of June as most people will likely have the opportunity to be vaccinated). The biggest catch is that travel needs to be newly-booked, meaning that you’ll have to re-book any existing reservations in order to qualify for benefits.
Oddly, I don’t see anything in the fine print of the email indicating any way to extend the promotional status. Southwest has done this sort of thing before with challenges that require some flight activity to keep status. In this case, it looks like they are just trying to lure some for near-term travel on Southwest.