Transferring hotel points to airlines is almost never worth it, but a new promotion from United is one scenario where it’s not necessarily a bad deal, but only when it comes to one hotel program.
- Get 30% bonus MileagePlus miles when transferring hotel points to United.
- Direct link to offer.
- To qualify for this offer, members must register for the promotion between September 1, 2022 and 11:59pm EST on September 30, 2022 (“Promotional Period”).
- A member must earn award miles as a result of one or more points to miles conversion transactions from any combination of MileagePlus hotel partner programs that offer a points to miles transfer program that are conducted during the Promotional Period (“Qualifying Activity”) in order to qualify for MileagePlus Hotel Points-to-Miles bonus miles (“Bonus Miles”). Qualifying Activity must be completed by 11:59pm EST on September 30, 2022.
- At the conclusion of the promotion, all miles earned by each member from Qualifying Activity will be multiplied by 30% to determine the eligible bonus up to a maximum of 25,000 bonus miles. Bonus miles will be credited into the member’s account on or before January 31, 2023. The maximum bonus miles that can be earned by a member under this promotion is 25,000. MileagePlus will not be responsible for technical problems with partner miles postings, or failures or delays in miles postings by hotel partners, that would render any points to miles converted as ineligible under this promotion.
There are numerous hotel programs from which you can transfer points to United:
- Marriott Bonvoy
- Accor Live Limitless
- Hilton Honors
- IHG One Rewards
- Radisson Rewards Americas
- World of Hyatt
- Choice Privileges
- Wyndham Rewards
- Shangri-La Circle
However, it’s only the first program on this list – Marriott Bonvoy – that’s worth considering for this promotion. That’s because the other programs transfer to United at such a poor rate, it would be a terrible redemption value even with the 30% bonus miles.
Marriott is the exception though for a couple of reasons. For starters, when transferring 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points to airline partners, you receive 25,000 miles. Although the normal transfer ratio is 3:1, specifically transferring 60,000 points at a time earns you 5,000 bonus miles, hence the total of 25,000.
The other reason is that Marriott and United have a more in-depth partnership, such as Marriott Titanium members getting complimentary Silver status with United. Another part of that partnership is that you get a 10% bonus when transferring Bonvoy points to MileagePlus. That bumps up the 25,000 miles you receive for every 60,000 points transferred to 27,500.
As a result, the 30% bonus from this new promotion means 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points becomes 35,750 United MileagePlus miles as the 30% bonus is added to the already-boosted total of 27,500 miles. That doesn’t make this a spectacular opportunity, but if you happen to be flush with Marriott points and are short on United miles, it’s not a bad redemption option either.
Note that you have to register for this transfer promotion, so do that before transferring any points over.