For the past week Choice Privileges has improved the ratio at which you can convert your points to United MileagePlus miles to 5,000:2,000. While that’s not a life-changing redemption option, it does mean that you can indirectly transfer Citi ThankYou points to United on a 1,000:800 basis.
- Transfer Choice Privileges points to United MileagePlus on a 5,000:2,000 basis.
- Direct link to offer.
- For a limited time, Choice Privileges members are eligible to redeem 5,000 or more Choice Privileges points into United MileagePlus miles at double the normal rate; while this promotion lasts – for every 5,000 Choice Privileges points you redeem, you’ll get 2,000 MileagePlus miles, instead of the standard amount of 1000.
- Minimum redemption is 5,000 Choice Privileges points (for 2,000 MileagePlus miles) and redemptions above 5,000 must be in 1,000 point increments.
- Transactions must be completed between 09:00 a.m. ET July 7, 2022 and 11:59 p.m. ET, August 31, 2022 to be eligible to receive the offer.
- All other exchange transaction qualifications apply.
- Members must also have an active United MileagePlus account; miles will be posted to your United account within 48 hours after your transaction is complete.
- Once the miles transfer request is initiated it cannot be reversed.
Miles Talk noticed this opportunity recently. The reason it works in this way is because if you have a Citi Premier or Prestige card, you can transfer Citi ThankYou points to Choice on a 1:2 basis.
You could therefore transfer 5,000 ThankYou points to Choice Privileges and end up with 10,000 Choice points. Those Choice points could then be transferred to United to end up with 4,000 MileagePlus miles, thereby meaning you’re transferring from Citi to United on a 1,000:800 basis.
That’s not a spectacular option, but if you need United miles and don’t have the option of transferring from Chase Ultimate Rewards, it could make sense if there’s a good value award flight that you want to book.
The ratio gets even better if you also have a Citi Rewards+ card because that offers a 10% points rebate when redeeming up to 100,000 ThankYou points each year. In the scenario listed above, redeeming 5,000 ThankYou points would get you 500 points rebated. That improves the ratio to a 900:800 basis.