Rakuten has added several new retailers to its card-linked program for in-store purchases in recent days, with the most notable one being the 5%/5x you can earn at Staples.
- Earn 5% cashback or 5x Membership Rewards from Rakuten when paying with a linked card in-store at Staples.
- Direct link to offer.
- US stores only.
- Offer valid through 12/24/2023.
- Maximum Cash Back of $15.
- Maximum 3 redemptions per member.
- Offer not valid at locations in US territories.
- In-Store offers not valid for online purchases and cannot be combined with other offers.
- Offer not valid for gift card purchases.
- Debit card purchases must be processed as credit to be eligible for Cash Back. When using a debit card, do not enter your PIN.
- If you add the same merchant on more than one rewards site or platform, you will only receive rewards through the most recently added Offer.
- Once you add an Offer, you may make qualifying transactions for up to 1 hour after initial redemption before needing to re-add the Offer.
- An added offer that has not been redeemed will automatically expire 75 days after it is added or on the date the offer itself ends, whichever is sooner.
This is a nice little bonus if you were planning on doing any shopping at Staples over the coming month. With a limit of $15 cashback per transaction, you’ll max this out when spending $300 per transaction or $900 during the promotion period seeing as you can redeem the offer three times.
Gift card purchases are listed as being excluded, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that’ll be enforced. There have been instances in the past where Rakuten hasn’t take kindly to people abusing their card-linked offers to buy gift cards, but with a maximum of $45 total cashback – or 4,500 Membership Rewards – they’ve already limited people’s ability to go wild with purchases on an account.
What’s particularly awesome about this offer is that it’ll stack with 5x earnings on a Chase Ink Cash or Ink Plus card which means you can earn both 5x Ultimate Rewards and 5x Membership Rewards.
Be sure to check the list of other participating retailers for Rakuten’s card-linked in-store program. There are boosted rates for many retailers at the moment, including several for which there are Amex Offers, Chase Offers and Citi Offers. There are also some new retailers like Food Lion, Macy’s, Sephora, Neiman Marcus and more.