American Airlines has sent an offer to members who need to requalify for elite status this year making it possible to earn back up to Executive Platinum with $15,000 credit card spend or $2,000 travel spend. This is an amazing offer for those who otherwise may not have requalified.
- American Airlines is making it very easy for members who currently have elite status to renew their status through January 31, 2023. Members with Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum status can retain status through 1/23/23 by doing one of the following things:
- Spend at least $15,000 on eligible purchases with an eligible AAdvantage credit card between July 15 – November 15, 2021
- Earn at least $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars on eligible airline tickets from September 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
- Direct link to more information
- You must have held status on January 1, 2021 to qualify
- You can only requalify with the requirements above, not reach a higher tier
- No Choice Rewards will be awarded to those who requalify this way
This is an awesome deal if you had status at the start of this year, particularly those World of Hyatt members who were gifted Executive Platinum status in late 2019 for the 2020 year only to have it extended in 2021 and who now have the chance to keep it through all of next year as well with $15K in credit card spend. If you have travel booked this fall, the reduced EQD requirement may be more attractive, but the credit card spend is a relatively easy path to requalification. Keep in mind that those who qualify with $15K credit card spend or $2K EQDs will not get choice benefits.
Here’s hoping that United matches so that I can burn my current travel vouchers to “requalify” for Silver status without having to make sure I get back to Marriott Titanium.
H/T: One Mile at a Time