|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Some Discover cardholders have been targeted for an offer giving $45 back as a statement credit when paying for a Sam’s Club membership. It should be possible to stack this with at least one other offer to make a profit when buying the membership.
- Sign up for a $45 Sam’s Club membership & get a $45 statement credit from Discover with a targeted offer.
- Offer valid when you purchase a new $45 Sam’s Club membership.
- Offer good when you join online or in-club as a new Club member. New member cannot have been a member within the last six months.
- Offer may not be combined with any other Sam’s Club offer or promotion.
- By accepting this offer, you authorize annual recurring charges to any card on file for your Sam’s Club membership fee(s) plus any applicable taxes at then-current rate every year until you cancel.
- Visit samsclub.com or a club or call 1-888-746-7726 for full terms or to cancel autorenewal.
- Offer excludes Plus membership, membership renewal, membership upgrades, add-ons, additional memberships, pre-paid membership or Sam’s Club® Gift of Membership.
- Only memberships bought in the United States are eligible for this promotion.
- Only one statement credit per new primary member.
- Walmart and Sam’s Club associates are not eligible for this offer.
- Must be 18 or older to purchase a membership, and membership is subject to qualifications.
- Offer eligible only if activated via the link in this email or site when you use your Discover card to purchase a $45 Sam’s Club membership now through 04/30/2021.
- Offer fulfilled as a statement credit within three billing cycles after the end of the promotion.
This is a sweet deal if you’re in the market for a Sam’s Club membership and it could be worth doing even if you don’t need a membership. That’s because it should be possible to stack this offer from Discover with at least one other offer to make a profit, but possibly with more than one for $50+ profit.
For starters, you can click through from a shopping portal to buy a membership online.
TopCashback is currently offering 17% on new memberships, so that’s $7.65 profit off the bat. Update: Greg noticed that Swagbucks is offering 2,000 Swagbucks (worth $20) for new Sam’s Club memberships, so that’s even better.
If you have an older account with Bumped, you should already have access to their reinstated Loyalty Rewards program. The warehouse club category gives you the choice between Sam’s Club and BJ’s Wholesale Club; if you’ve selected Sam’s Club, that’s $0.45 extra. That’s obviously not a huge amount, but you can earn 1% cashback with Sam’s Club on up to $25,000 of spend per year, so there’s no harm linking your Discover card in the Bumped app if you have it.
There’s another possible stacking opportunity, but I’m not certain it’ll work with this Discover offer. That’s because the terms of this Discover statement credit deal state that “Offer may not be combined with any other Sam’s Club offer or promotion.” Shopping portal cashback and stock from Bumped aren’t a Sam’s Club offer or promotion per se, so I don’t have any reason to believe they won’t stack. This other Sam’s Club promo is a membership offer and so could affect the statement credit.
The other offer is one which gives you a $45 gift card when buying a membership. It’s similar to the Discover offer, except the Discover promo gives you a $45 statement credit whereas the direct Sam’s Club offer gives you a $45 gift card which you pick up in-club after buying the membership.
The way it works is that you register here by entering your email. Sam’s Club sends you an email, or you can sign up by clicking on the ‘Join Now’ button after entering your email. The reason this might not work is that Sam’s Club might process the membership payment in a different way to that which Discover is set up to recognize.
I think there’s a chance the offers could stack though and even if they don’t, you’re not really worse off. Here’s how I personally would play this if I was targeted for the offer:
- Activate the Discover offer.
- Link my Discover card in the Bumped app (I think they have a waitlist, so it might not work unless you already have access to the app).
- Click through to Sam’s Club from Swagbucks.
- Copy and paste this link in the address bar after clicking through from Swagbucks.
- Enter your email address, then click the ‘Join Now’ button on the page which appears after you’ve registered.
If this all works out, you’ll end up paying $45 for a membership and get the following:
- $45 from Discover
- $45 gift card from Sam’s Club
- $20 from Swagbucks
- $0.45 from Bumped
- Total = $110.45 or $65.45 profit
If the Discover statement credit doesn’t end up tracking due to you taking advantage of the $45 gift card offer from Sam’s Club, you’re not really any worse off as you still get the $45 gift card. From what I can see, there’s only an upside of an additional $45 here by trying to stack the offers. If anyone tries stacking these promos, please let us know in the future if it works out as it’d be good to know for similar future offers.