Wyndham Rewards has launched a new promotion which is worth registering for, but is far less rewarding than I would’ve expected.
- Wyndham Rewards is offering the following promotion:
- Stay 1 night & earn 1,000 bonus points
- Stay 2 consecutive nights & earn 3,000 bonus points
- Stay 3+ consecutive nights & earn 7,500 bonus points
- Direct link to registration.
- To qualify for this offer (“Offer”) to (a) complete a stay one (1) night and receive 1,000 Wyndham Rewards bonus points, or (b) complete a stay of two (2) consecutive nights and receive 3,000 Wyndham Rewards bonus points or (c) complete a stay three (3) or more consecutive nights and receive 7,500 Wyndham Rewards bonus points (each set of bonus points described in the foregoing clauses (a) through (c), a “Bonus”), a Wyndham Rewards Member must:
- (i) register for the Offer by completing the registration process on wyndhamhotels.com/wyndham-rewards, wyndhamhotels.com or any of the official brand websites of any participating Hotel Chain, or through the “My Promotions” section of his or her Wyndham Rewards Member account on wyndhamhotels.com/wyndham-rewards or the Wyndham Hotels & Resorts App, in each case, between March 16, 2021 and May 28, 2021 (the “Promotion Period”);
- (ii) book a Qualified Stay of one (1), two (2), or three (3) or more, consecutive nights at the same Participating Hotel on wyndhamhotels.com/wyndham-rewards, wyndhamhotels.com, any of the official brand websites of any participating Hotel Chain, the Wyndham Hotels & Resorts App, or via the official toll free reservation number of Wyndham Rewards or any of the participating Hotel Chains, or directly with a Participating Hotel; and
- (iii) begin such stay no earlier than March 16, 2021 and complete it no later than May 31, 2021 (an “Offer Qualifying Stay”).
- For clarity, there is a limit of one Bonus per Offer Qualifying Stay, meaning that an Offer Qualifying Stay will receive only the Bonus designated for that particular length of stay, and not any Bonus(es) designated for stays of lesser lengths (i.e., an Offer Qualifying Stay of three (3) consecutive nights will result in 7,500 Wyndham Rewards bonus points in total, and an Offer Qualifying Stay of two (2) consecutive nights will result in 3,000 Wyndham Rewards bonus points in total).
- Members are welcome to complete as many Offer Qualifying Stays as possible between March 16, 2021 and May 31, 2021; each separate Offer Qualifying Stay that is completed will earn the applicable Bonus.
- For clarity, Members must register for the Offer before completing their Qualified Stay(s) during the Promotion Period in order for any such stays to count toward this Offer, and any stay that has a check-in date prior to March 16, 2021, and/or a check-out date after May 31, 2021, will not be counted towards the Offer.
- Stays at Participating Caesars Entertainment Properties, vacation club resorts and vacation rentals are not eligible for this Offer.
- Go Free and Go Fast award stays are also not eligible for this Offer.
- Qualified Stays are subject to certain restrictions, including, without limitation, that such stays cannot be booked via any third party website; see the Program Terms for more information about Qualified Stays at Participating Hotels.
- A Member who is eligible to receive a bonus points pursuant to these Offer Terms will typically receive them within six to eight weeks after the completion of the applicable Offer Qualifying Stay.
This is a surprisingly poor promotion considering domestic travel is likely to increase during Q2, although perhaps Wyndham feels like there’s no need to offer a more rewarding promo.
On the positive side, you’ll earn bonus points from your first stay rather than only earning bonus points when staying twice within the promotion period like some of their past promotions. You also earn bonus points for as many stays as you can fit in by May 31, 2021, so that’s another good feature.
Other than those features though, there’s not too much to commend about this offer. Wyndham Rewards is stating that stays of 3+ nights will earn you enough bonus points for a free night; while strictly speaking that’s true, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 7,500 point Wyndham property that a) I would want to stay at and b) is expensive enough that it would be worth redeeming 7,500 points for a free night rather than paying ~$50 + tax.
I therefore only consider redeeming Wyndham points for stays costing 15,000 points (Wyndham has a three-tiered redemption offering – 7,500, 15,000 and 30,000 points). I’d therefore need to book two stays of at least three nights in order to earn enough points for a free night. Compare that to Hyatt’s new promo where you can earn 5,000 bonus points (as a cardholder) when staying four nights which is enough points for a category 1 stay, with those bonus points even being earned on award stays. Six nights at a Wyndham property to get a free night at a Super 8 or four nights at a Hyatt property to get a free night at a category 1 Hyatt Place or Hyatt House is a simple choice provided Hyatt has a footprint where you want to stay.
Past Wyndham promos have sometimes offered 7,500 bonus points when staying twice. If you booked two separate one night stays under those past promos you’d therefore earn the same number of bonus points as you would with this new promotion when staying three consecutive nights. That’s one extra night you’d need to stay in order to earn the same number of points. That’s a solitary example though; with past promotions, two stays of two or more nights each would’ve earned the same number of bonus points as a three night stay with this new promo, so in that respect this new promo is better.
It’s therefore worth registering for this promotion just in case you end up staying at a Wyndham property in the next 2.5 months, but I’ve a feeling Greg and Nick will set a new record for shortest assessment of a hotel promotion when Mattress Running The Numbers on a future podcast episode.