|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Citi is offering a 20% bonus when you transfer ThankYou points to Wyndham Rewards. We’ve written extensively over the last couple years about how much we love Wyndham Rewards points, primarily because of their partnership with Vacasa Vacation Rentals. You can use them to stay at some incredible properties for 15,000 points per bedroom per night – or less if you have a Wyndham credit card that offers a 10% discount on award stays.
- Citi is offering a 20% transfer bonus from ThankYou points to Wyndham Rewards.
- Expires September 16, 2023
- Transfer bonus valid through 11:59 pm ET on September 16, 2023.
- Transfers must be made in 1,000 point increments.
- Transfers to Wyndham Rewards are often completed within 24 hours. However, the process may occasionally take up to 5 business days.
- There is no maximum to the number of ThankYou points you can transfer.
Best Uses of Wyndham Points
- Book Vacasa properties for only 15,000 points per bedroom (see this post for more details)
- Wyndham Rewards has three redemption tiers – 7,500, 15,000 and 30,000. Since these are fixed, they can be great value when room prices are extremely high (e.g. during special events or holidays). These tiers also apply to Wyndham Vacation Club time share properties, so one-bedroom condos can be had for as low as 7,500 points per night.
- Book Go Fast rewards – this is Wyndham’s Cash + Points option. With this option, it is sometimes possible to get outsized value for a small number of points. See Greg’s calculations for examples.
Things to know
- When you book nights with points, you will not earn points for the stay.
- Most hotel taxes are not charged on award stays, so this can make the value of buying points even better. Arguably, this factor and the one above roughly cancel each other out.
- Resort fees are waived on award stays. This alone can make it worthwhile to use points instead of cash for your bookings.
- Wyndham points expire after 18 months of inactivity, and 4 years after acquisition. The former is easy to avoid since any account activity will reset the clock, but the four year timer is more problematic. Luckily, there is a workaround. See "How to prevent Wyndham points from expiring" for details.
Using Wyndham points through Vacasa can be an incredible value. For examples, check out Nick’s review of the cabin he rented in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee area or Greg’s incredible finds on the Big Island of Hawai’i. The Wyndham/Vacasa partnership now covers over 15,000 vacation rentals and there’s some marvelous places out there.
Wyndham Vacation Club can also offer some solid deals. Prices for these timeshare properties start at 7,500 points per night, so someone with one of the Wyndham Earner cards would only have to transfer as little as 6,000 ThankYou points for a night. I don’t find most of these to be as appealing at the majority of the Vacasa properties, but there are some gems out there in good locations.
It’s worth noting that Wyndham allows transfers from a wider range of cards than most of Citi’s transfer partners, but rates vary as well. Cardholders of the Citi Premier and Prestige cards can transfer to Wyndham Rewards at a 1:1 ratio, or 1:1.2 during the promotional period. Cardholders of the Citi Rewards+ and Double Cash cards can also transfer to Wyndham but at a reduced rate of 1:0.8, meaning the transfer bonus juices it up to 1:0.96.
Current Transfer Bonuses
|Transfer From||Transfer Bonus Details||End Date|
|Chase||Chase Ultimate Rewards offering 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic||2023/11/15|
|Choice Privileges||100% transfer bonus from Choice Privileges to United Airlines (still a bad deal)||2023/10/15|
|Citi||30% transfer bonus from Citi to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||2023/10/14|