|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
There’s a new Amex Offer out today offering $5 back when spending $10 when booking a taxi through the Curb app.
- Get $5 back when using your enrolled card to make a single purchase of $10 or more via Curb – The Taxi App.
- Expires August 31, 2018.
- Enrollment limited.
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express Cards are eligible.
- Must use enrolled Card as payment method directly with the Curb mobile app.
- Offer valid only for transactions made directly through the Curb mobile app.
- Payments made directly to the driver or outside the app are excluded.
- Valid for US transactions only.
This Curb Amex Offer appears to be targeted as I only had it on a handful of cards. There might be a version of the offer that gives 500 Membership Rewards rather than a $5 statement credit, but I didn’t get that version. Let us know in the comments below if you get the 500 MR version.
I’d never used Curb before, so I downloaded the app and registered to see what it’s like. Unfortunately, it looks like the usefulness of this offer will depend on if there are any Curb drivers in your area. We’re staying in Eau Claire WI for the next few days and are planning on doing a Leinenkugel brewery tour in nearby Chippewa Falls. When trying to book a ride, this is what showed up:
No taxis available – not particularly helpful if you’re trying to use a taxi app. Compare that to the Uber app:
I’d zoomed in on the map and it shows at least six cars currently in my area with a wait time of only eight minutes. The Curb app might therefore be worth checking out in larger cities, but not so much in smaller ones.
If you have the offer on several cards, you’ll need to add each card to the Curb app in order to take advantage of the offer on each one. Be aware though that you have to spend a minimum of $10 in one transaction in order for the $5 statement credit to be triggered.
Reviews of the Curb app on the Play Store aren’t great – it has an average rating of 3.6 stars based on more than 5,500 reviews and 500,000 downloads. However, with the potential for half price taxi rides (if your rides cost as close to $10 as possible), it might be worth trying if there are Curb drivers in your area.