Metrolink is offering two free round-trip train tickets in Southern California when you fill out a form sharing your name, email address, and cell phone number. That last part is key: the promo code arrives via text message (and it can only be used in-person at a ticket vending machine to redeem for your free trip). This could be a really nice deal for those who live in Southern California or possibly those flying to / from LAX or Burbank.
- Metrolink is offering two free round-trip train tickets when you fill out a form with your name, email address, and cell phone number and receive a code via text message.
- Direct link to this offer
- Offer expires October 31, 2021.
- Code is only valid in the Metrolink app
- Email address and mobile phone number are required to receive free trial ride offer.
- Limit one promotional trial ride offer per household every six months.
- Promotional codes will be sent by text message to the mobile phone number provided and must be used to redeem promotional codes at a Metrolink ticket vending machine prior to boarding the train.
- See promo landing page for full terms
As an East Coast-er, I am not intricately familiar with Metrolink and its coverage. However, this looks like it could be a good deal as it looks like a round trip from Los Angeles Union Station to Oceanside (as an example) would ordinarily be $33.50.
Note that the promo landing page indicates that the promotion is valid until 10/31/21, but I think that’s just the deadline for signing up for free tickets. According to data points from Slickdeals, the email that you receive about the promotion indicates that your code is valid until 1/1/23. That means this is worthwhile even if you don’t have near-term plans to ride the train.
It is not clear to me whether or not a free round trip can include connections. For example, can you use the free round trip to travel from Van Nuys to Oceanside via LA Union Station? Similarly, is the FlyAway bus between LAX and LA Union Station included as it is with paid tickets from LAX? I’m not positive and since you can’t use the code in the app I can’t test these things.
Things that are clearer and important:
- The promo code only comes via text message, so make sure you enter your mobile phone number correctly. They make you choose a carrier, so it appears that Google Voice numbers won’t work (and neither are most prepaid carriers – YMMV as to whether entering the network upon which your prepaid carrier runs will do the trick)
- Generally speaking, tickets can only be purchased via Metrolink’s phone app or at kiosks at the train station (and possibly only day-of-travel?). However, the promo code for free tickets only works at a kiosk at the train station. You can’t use the promo code to buy tickets in the app.
Interestingly, I see that Hollywood Burbank airport has a free shuttle between the terminal and train station, so this could be useful for those who fly into that alternative airport. That could make this deal attractive not only to those who live in Southern California but also to those in one of the many Southwest markets that I believe still have nonstop service to Burbank. Of course, I think most people are going to want to rent a car when visiting Southern California anyway, but this may come in handy for some.
Overall, this is an interesting and easy deal for those who can take advantage. Two free round trip tickets is certainly a decent freebie.