Update 4/13/21: This promotion is returning again beginning for enrollment or renewal between April 15 and July 31, 2021. Enroll in the program during that window, complete one qualifying paid stay at an InterContinental, Kimpton, or Regent, by August 31, 2021 and get a free night certificate valid for one night at a hotel costing up to 40K points. The free night certificate expires 11/30/21. While this promo remains lukewarm, it could be of greater interest now that Intercontinental Ambassadors receive valuable benefits at Six Senses properties. More details in the updated post below. H/T: One Mile at a Time
Update 10/24/20: You now have until December 31, 2020 to purchase or renew your Ambassador membership for the first part of this deal.
IHG Rewards Club is offering a free night certificate which is good at properties charging up to 40,000 points per night when buying or renewing an Ambassador membership and staying once at an InterContinental, Kimpton or Regent property in the next few months. This has the potential for being a decent offer if you ever stay at InterContinental properties and can make use of the free night certificate by November 30, 2021.
- Buy or renew an Ambassador membership between April 15, 2021 and July 31, 2021 and stay once at select IHG brands by August 31, 2021 to get a free night certificate good at any property charging up to 40,000 points through November 30, 2021.
- Direct link to terms & conditions (see the ‘Ambassador Reward Night Enrollment & Renewal Offer’ section). Note that registration will be live on April 15, 2021.
- InterContinental Ambassadors who enroll in the program or renew their program membership between April 15, 2021 and July 31, 2021 and then complete one Qualifying Stay at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, or Regent Hotels by 31 August 2021 will be awarded a Reward Night redeemable for a Reward Night priced at 40,000 points or less.
- The Reward Night will be deposited into the Free Nights section of the member’s account within 72 hours after check-out from the qualifying, paid stay and will be valid until 30 November 2021.
- This Reward Night is in addition to the complimentary weekend night that is already included as an InterContinental Ambassador member benefit.
- Ambassador benefits are not honored at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants globally or at Regent Hotels & Resorts in Greater China.
- The Reward Night must be consumed by 30 April 2021 and cannot be extended or transferred. The number of points required for a Reward Night at IHG hotels varies by date, brand and individual hotel and is subject to availability. Taxes and fees apply and the member may be required to pay such taxes and fees even for a Reward Night. IHG Army Hotels, Mrs and Mrs Smith properties, and Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas are excluded from this Offer.
- This Offer is not valid for InterContinental Ambassador membership enrollments or renewals obtained on a complimentary basis or using the IHG Employee discount.
- Ambassador members must be within their standard renewal window in order to take advantage of this Offer.
- A Qualifying Stay is defined as a paid, minimum 1-night stay booked under a Qualifying Rate, with total spend exceeding US $30 per night.
- Reward Nights do not count as Qualifying Stays.
- A Stay is defined per IHG Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out.
- Only one room per member per Qualifying Stay will be eligible to earn the member a Reward Night under this Offer. If more than one member checks into the same room, only one member may use it as his or her Qualifying Stay for this Offer.
- No credit will be awarded for Stays completed prior to the member’s enrollment or renewal.
IHG hasn’t made this the most straightforward of promotions due to the various dates involved. First, you have to buy or renew an Ambassador membership between April 15, 2021 and July 31, 2021. You then have to complete a paid stay at an InterContinental, Kimpton or Regent property by August 31, 2021 in order to get a free night certificate that can be used at a property charging up to 40,000 points by November 30, 2021.
If you can complete all those steps, this could be a good offer. I say this could be a good offer because the 40k free night certificate comes at a cost. Not only do you have to book a paid stay at one of three brands – which incidentally are IHG’s most expensive brands for the most part – but you also have to pay $200 or 40,000 IHG Rewards Club points for the Ambassador membership.
Although the free night certificate could certainly be worth more than $200, I wouldn’t value it that highly due to the fact that spending $200 on a paid stay would earn you points, you could earn cashback by clicking through from a shopping portal and the fact that the certificate expires on April 30, 2020.
If you can make use of the benefits that come with Ambassador membership though (such as when Greg stayed at one in Austin), that makes the offer much more worthwhile. Note that Ambassador benefits are, for the most part, only applicable when staying at IHG’s InterContinental brand, so you can’t book a stay at a Crowne Plaza and expect Ambassador status to get you anything. Having said that, Ambassador status does come with corresponding Platinum status in the IHG Rewards Club program, so that could be used at Crowne Plaza (for as much use as status with IHG is which isn’t much).
IHG also updated the Ambassador program recently so that the weekend night certificate you get each year can now be used at Kimpton properties any day of the week – not just weekends.
So in summary, if you can make use of the benefits of Ambassador status and can easily meet the terms of this offer, it’s a decent deal. Otherwise, I wouldn’t go out of my way to spend $200 or 40,000 points for status and book a paid stay at one of three (generally expensive) IHG brands in order to get a free night certificate which expires in 9 months.