Yesterday, I had a great experience calling Marriott Bonvoy. Whaaat? Lately, most news about Marriott’s loyalty program has been bad. They seem to Bonvoy us every chance they get (like when they recently decided to un-extend Suite Night Awards). But, in this case, it was all good. I had a free night certificate expiring soon, so I called to see if it could be extended. Yep! No problem. And in the course of the conversation, I learned Marriott’s rules for extending free nights. In this one area at least, compared to other hotel programs, Marriott rules (see what I did there?).
Marriott’s rules for extending free nights
The rules are simple:
- No elite status required: Any member may call to extend a free night certificate that’s near expiry.
- Call within 30 days of expiry: You must wait until your certificate is within 30 days of expiring before calling to extend it.
- 12 month extension from date of call: Your certificate will be extended for 12 months from the date of your phone call to Marriott, not from the expiration date of the original certificate. Example: I called July 14, 2022 and so my certificate was extended until July 14, 2023.
- One time extension only: Once a certificate has been extended, agents aren’t supposed to allow another extension. I wrote “aren’t supposed to” because my guess is that they have some latitude to make exceptions.
Note: Marriott had a hard rule against extending certificates that expired 6/30/22 since those had been extended at least once before during the pandemic.
The ability to easily extend free night certificates for a full year is a great feature of Marriott’s loyalty program. I can’t think of any other major hotel program that does the same. In a way, this increases the value of their credit cards that offer free night certificates each year upon renewal. With a single credit card, if you don’t have a good use for a certificate each year, you could instead book a weekend every other year. This, combined with the ability to add up to 15,000 points to each certificate really goes a long way to make Marriott cards long term keepers.
See these related posts for more information…
- Which is the best Marriott Bonvoy credit card?
- Are you eligible for a new Marriott card?
- How to get all 5 Marriott Bonvoy cards
- Marriott Bonvoy Complete Guide