|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.
Fans of Cathay Pacific Asia Miles will be excited to hear that there is a targeted 20% transfer bonus when converting American Express Membership Rewards points to Asia Miles. That can be a great deal thanks to a highly hackable award chart and some best uses.
- American Express Membership Rewards is offering a targeted 20% transfer bonus to Cathay Pacific Asia Miles from 12:00 a.m. MT on 5/15 to 11:59 p.m. MT on 6/14, or while supplies last
- You must be enrolled in Cathay Membership Programme in order to participate in this offer, visit https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/membership/sign-up.html to enroll.
- American Express is not responsible for availability of flight, accommodations or any other rewards in the Cathay Membership Programme.
- Once you have transferred Membership Rewards points, they become subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Cathay Membership Programme and cannot be transferred back to your Membership Rewards program account.
- Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, including airline surcharges, apply on Cathay Pacific redemption flights and upgrades. See Cathay Membership Programme Terms and Conditions for details. Individual air carrier restrictions may apply.
- Minimum transfer is 1000 Membership Rewards points.
- Redeem for this exclusive offer from 12:00 a.m. MT on 5/15 to 11:59 p.m. MT on 6/14, or while supplies last, to receive 20% additional Asia Miles.
- Additional Asia Miles will be awarded at the time of transfer.
- Generally, transfers are immediate but please allow up to 72 hours for the transfer to be completed
A member of our Frequent Miler Insiders group reported this earlier today. A couple of group members reported not being targeted for this (or that Player 1 was targeted and Player 2 was not). In my household, both my wife and I were targeted for the bonus (and the same was true in Tim’s house), so I assume it isn’t very narrowly targeted (but YMMV).
If you are targeted, it can certainly be an excellent deal since there are quite a few great spots for Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. Greg has written quite a bit about hacking Asia Miles to fly in first class for less. And just last week on the podcast he mentioned why he recently booked British Airways business class with Asia Miles.
In several cases, Asia Miles can be the best option for booking oneworld tickets, particularly in premium cabins. The short story is that because of their distance-based award chart and mixed-cabin pricing, they can be a very good option in some instances. I certainly wouldn’t transfer speculatively, but if you find a useful long-haul premium cabin award ticket, this can certainly help tip the balance to Asia Miles. Keep in mind that miles transferred no longer have a hard expiration — you can keep them alive by having account activity every 18 months.