There is a new 30% transfer bonus for transfers from Citi ThankYou points to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. This could make some of the best uses of Virgin Atlantic points significantly better if you can find availability that matches your needs.
- Through 11:59pm Eastern time on October 14, 2023, Citi ThankYou rewards is offering a 30% transfer bonus when transferring points to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- Expires at 11:59pm Eastern Time on October 14, 2023
This can obviously be a great deal if you’re able to find availability that matches your needs.
Here are some common best uses of Virgin Atlantic points — keep in mind that this deal means you’ll pay about 23% less given the 30% transfer bonus.
- ANA First Class from the US for 72.5K (West Coast) - 85K (East Coast). For a long time, the sweetest of Virgin Points sweet spots was for First Class awards from the US to Japan on ANA. Unfortunately, Virgin devalued those awards in March 2023, but even with substantial increases these awards are still a solid value if not the amazing value they used to be. ANA has one of the best first class products around, often selling for over $20,000. This is an incredible points value...especially now that you can now book one-way awards for half the price shown above. It's worth noting that ANA flights can't be booked on the VA website, so you have to call or message via Twitter (see below).
- US to UK Economy for 10K (East Coast) - 15K (West Coast). Virgin Points can be used to fly to London at great value. Virgin Atlantic offers the same pricing whether flying Delta or Virgin Atlantic, but fees are higher when flying Delta. Flying from the US to London for 10K to 15K during standard season is a bargain even after accounting for moderate award fees ($150-225). Note that flights originating in the UK have considerably higher fees.
- Delta Business from US to Europe for 50K. Virgin Points can be used to book Delta business class from the US to Europe for only 50,000 points one way, with minimal surcharges when flying from the US. Flights to/from the UK and originating in Europe include extremely high award fees. Mixed Partner Awards can be an excellent value as well.
- Air France or KLM flights within Europe. Virgin Atlantic has great rates for nonstop flights within Europe on Air France or KLM. They charge between 4K and 8.5K for nonstop economy flights under 1250 miles in distance (which is most within Europe), and between 8K and 9K for business class flights under 600 miles in distance. Details here: Air France & KLM across Europe for less.
It might also be worth keeping your eye on the Virgin Red app as Virgin Red sometimes offers Virgin Voyages cruises for 80,000 or 100,000 points for double occupancy. You can link your Virgin Atlantic points to Virgin Red and redeem your Virgin Atlantic points for a cruise. Just be careful — clicking the redeem button redeems the points instantly (we’ve had reports from a few readers who expected the page to advance to show more detail before a final double-confirmation, but it just redeems your points when you hit redeem). I am not seeing any cruise deals at the moment, but I’ll keep an eye out for one during the validity of this transfer bonus (not for me since these cruises are adults-only, but I’ll post about it if I see these available).
We have added this to our list of current point transfer bonuses.
H/T: Award Wallet