|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
British Airways is back with its regular Avios sale that has a 50% bonus on purchased points. This can bring the cost down to 1.84 cents for accounts registered in the US. Accounts registered in Europe and the United Kingdom can buy Avios at approximately 1.4 cents per point. At that cost, it’s probably only worth considering if you have a specific high-value redemption planned. This has a shorter window than past sales and is valid from 6/23-7/10.
Past Avios Bonuses
- 50% bonus (Buy Avios for 1.4 -1.8 cents each). Valid through March 18-24, 2022.
- 50% bonus (Buy Avios for 1.4 -1.8 cents each). Valid through January 17-19, 2022.
- 50% bonus (Buy Avios for 1.4 -1.8 cents each). Valid through December 10-19, 2021.
- 50% bonus (Buy Avios for 1.4 -1.8 cents each). Valid through August 19-30, 2021.
- 50% bonus (Buy Avios for 1.4 -1.8 cents each). Valid through June 21- July 4, 2021.
- 50% bonus (Buy Avios for 1.4 -1.8 cents each). Valid through March 29 – April 11, 2021.
- Buy British Airways Avios with a 50% Bonus
- Direct link to offer (our affiliate link)
- The offer is available from 07:00 (GMT) Monday 23 June 2022 to 23:59 (GMT) Wednesday 10 July 2022 only (the ‘Offer Period’)
- This offer is only valid when you Purchase or Gift 2,000 Avios and above. Offer is not valid when you Purchase or Gift 1,000 Avios.
- The Bonus Avios will not count towards your annual limit of 200,000 Avios.
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Purchase Avios offer.
Best Uses British Airways Avios
- Business class to Europe from 34K one-way via Iberia. This is probably my favorite Avios redemption and have one booked this year already. Iberia charges as few as 34K miles off-peak for one-way in business class on its own flights from New York, Boston, Chicago, or DC to Madrid during off-peak season. The fuel surcharges are quite reasonable and they also run seasonal promotions (usually during the Winter) where the prices drop down even further.
- Business class South America from 22K one-way via British Airways. I've used this once and availability can be tricky to find. But when you can find it, BA has excellent pricing for shorter distance non-stop American Airlines award flights.
- Long Haul Business Class on Qatar Airways. After Qatar's addition to Avios, BA lowered many of their award prices on Qatar. It's now possible to travel between the United States and Doha in business for only 70,000 Avios with minimal surcharges.
Things to Know British Airways Avios
- Avios Purchases are processed by Points.com and DO NOT count as airfare.
- Avios can be easily transferred between Aer Lingus, Iberia and British Airways
- Avios expire after 36 months of no activity
- British Airways has near-extortionate fuel surcharges when flying on BA metal. It's best to keep Avios for use with partners or the Iberia Plus
Not to be totally negative – Forgot to mention that coast to coast award flights are now cheaper. Before a flight from JFK-LAX (4950 miles roundtrip) in economy was 65k Avios and now it’s 26k miles each way or 52k Avios total.
Stop advertising a 11k Avios award in N America. It doesn’t exist! Iberia got rid of that last spring and they now charge per segment too. Similar routing to your example – ALB-DCA-CHS-DCA-ALB – is 30k Avios + $29.20, not 11k Avios! It’s 1524 miles roundtrip, but they price each segment now.
This sounds great but whenI key in a major airport to ANYWHERE on the BA site that is served by partners I get … crickets. How do you actually book these non-BA destinations served only by partners through the BA website?
Just buy Avios anytime by using your Capital One Venture X card and get 2 points per $ spend – lose 2.62c cash back on BoFA = cost 1.31c each
– just see excellent post here on paying taxes and pay your taxes over next few months
Buying Avios at 1.8c is extortionate too – then you face stiff fees
BA has killed the Avios goose a long time ago
Never mind buying bonuses, when will amex return with transfer bonuses?
It’s been awhile, hasn’t it?
I wish I could sell my Avios with a 50% bonus! So difficult to use now with AA that I haven’t been able to in years. Can only be used on saver level and that is so hard to find as AA will have awards just a few thousand above saver or saver only at 10 pm – I wish there was some way to use my avios!!!
Lol, you probably aren’t alone. 🙂 I’ve had really good luck this last year with close-in AA and AS bookings, where somehow BA was showing saver, but AS/AA weren’t. The non-stop ORD-MAD route with Iberia has been great as well.