|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
American Express has sent out targeted emails to holders of the regular Amex Hilton credit card offering 7x at grocery stores for a limited time. Update: Some cardholders are getting targeted offers for gas stations instead of or in addition to grocery stores, plus some are also being offered 9x rather than 7x.
- Earn 7 (or 9) Hilton Honors Bonus Points per dollar spent at U.S. Supermarkets (or gas stations) with the Hilton Honors American Express card.
- Expires June 2, 2019.
- Offer valid on the first $500 of eligible purchases.
- Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.
- Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card Account.
- To receive the Hilton Honors Bonus Points, your Card Account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of fulfillment.
- The Hilton Honors Points you may earn as part of this offer are in addition to any other Bonus Points you may get from using your Card.
- Additional Hilton Honors Bonus Points will be credited to your Hilton Honors account within 2-4 weeks after the end of the offer.
The Amex Hilton card (i.e. not the Ascend, Aspire or Business) normally earns 5x at grocery stores, so with this targeted offer you’ll earn 2x bonus points per dollar. With a limit of $500, that means the maximum number of bonus points available from this offer is 1,000, so it’s not the most rewarding of promotions.
There are several other cards that are worth using at grocery stores ahead of the Amex Hilton card too. Chase Freedom is earning 5% this quarter, while the Amex Gold card earns 4x Membership Rewards year-round. Membership Rewards can be transferred to Hilton on a 1:2 basis (or higher with the current transfer bonus that’s also targeted), so you could, in theory, use the Amex Gold to earn 8x Hilton Honors points at grocery stores which is better than this Hilton card promo. That said, transferring to Hilton is a poor use of Membership Rewards in most cases, so that’s not advisable.
If the Amex Hilton is one of your only cards that earns a bonus at grocery stores though, it’s certainly better than nothing and worth considering.
Note that the terms specifically exclude the purchase of prepaid cards and gift cards. How strictly that’s enforced is another matter, but it’s worth being aware of in case that’s how you planned on spending the $500.
My wife and I both have this card at the moment, but only she appears to have been targeted for this offer. Her card was one of those that got converted over from Citi, so that might possibly have played a part in how it’s targeted.