|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Gyft is running a promotion offering a 15% discount on Hotels.com gift cards and presents an opportunity for some 5x spending.
- Save 15% on a $50 Hotels.com gift card.
- Direct link to promo.
- Must use promo code GETAWAY at checkout.
- Expires July 15, 2018 or while supplies last.
- Promotion is only eligible for a $50 or more Hotels.com Gift Card* (see Quick Thoughts below for more about this).
- Promo code is valid with all payment methods.
- Cannot combine with other promotions.
- Each household can redeem promo code up to 2 times.
- Email validation is required to complete a gift card purchase.
- Must have a Gyft account to purchase.
- Only valid for users residing in the U.S.
- Gift cards are only redeemable in the U.S.
Hotels.com gift cards frequently go on sale for 15% off, but this deal is notable as Gyft is one of the few remaining avenues for earning 5x Ultimate Rewards on a Chase Ink card. You have to checkout using Paypal in order to earn 5x with Gyft.
A couple of downsides with this promo are that it’s limited to $50 gift cards and there’s a limit of two cards per household.
The terms state that the “promotion is only eligible for a $50 or more Hotels.com Gift Card”. Although it says “or more”, you don’t get a 15% discount when purchasing a gift card for more than $50. A $200 Hotels.com gift card purchase still only gets a $7.50 discount.
Hotels.com is a great OTA to use when booking stays at properties that aren’t part of a hotel loyalty scheme, or at brands where you’re not worried about status benefits or collecting elite night credits. We’ve had several such stays this past year and have earned a credit of almost $75 to be used towards a future booking thanks to their Welcome Rewards scheme.
If you use gift cards purchased at 15%, add in the 10% back you get from Welcome Rewards and the value of the 5x Ultimate Rewards earned on the purchase of the gift cards, you’ll effectively be getting a ~33% return.
Reservations paid for with gift cards unfortunately don’t earn portal cashback, but the savings from the 15% discount (and 5x UR if applicable) exceeds any cashback you’d otherwise be earning.