|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.
Gyft is running a promotion offering a 15% discount on Hotels.com gift cards and presents an opportunity for some 5x spending.
- Save 15% on a $50 Hotels.com gift card.
- Direct link to promo.
- Must use promo code GETAWAY at checkout.
- Expires July 15, 2018 or while supplies last.
- Promotion is only eligible for a $50 or more Hotels.com Gift Card* (see Quick Thoughts below for more about this).
- Promo code is valid with all payment methods.
- Cannot combine with other promotions.
- Each household can redeem promo code up to 2 times.
- Email validation is required to complete a gift card purchase.
- Must have a Gyft account to purchase.
- Only valid for users residing in the U.S.
- Gift cards are only redeemable in the U.S.
Hotels.com gift cards frequently go on sale for 15% off, but this deal is notable as Gyft is one of the few remaining avenues for earning 5x Ultimate Rewards on a Chase Ink card. You have to checkout using Paypal in order to earn 5x with Gyft.
A couple of downsides with this promo are that it’s limited to $50 gift cards and there’s a limit of two cards per household.
The terms state that the “promotion is only eligible for a $50 or more Hotels.com Gift Card”. Although it says “or more”, you don’t get a 15% discount when purchasing a gift card for more than $50. A $200 Hotels.com gift card purchase still only gets a $7.50 discount.
Hotels.com is a great OTA to use when booking stays at properties that aren’t part of a hotel loyalty scheme, or at brands where you’re not worried about status benefits or collecting elite night credits. We’ve had several such stays this past year and have earned a credit of almost $75 to be used towards a future booking thanks to their Welcome Rewards scheme.
If you use gift cards purchased at 15%, add in the 10% back you get from Welcome Rewards and the value of the 5x Ultimate Rewards earned on the purchase of the gift cards, you’ll effectively be getting a ~33% return.
Reservations paid for with gift cards unfortunately don’t earn portal cashback, but the savings from the 15% discount (and 5x UR if applicable) exceeds any cashback you’d otherwise be earning.