Amex is out with a new Amex Offer for Hertz car rentals that gives a $40 statement credit on $200+ in purchases. This offer appears to be available on both consumer and business Amex cards.
- Hertz: Get a one-time $40 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $200 to pay for eligible rentals in one or more transactions made directly with Hertz by 11/15/2022.
- Offer valid only for vehicle rentals made directly with participating Hertz Corporate Owned locations in the U.S. Rentals can be made through the Hertz U.S. website http://www.hertz.com, the Hertz mobile app, Hertz U.S. phone reservations, or in-person at participating Hertz Corporate owned locations in the U.S.
- Must pick up and return rental to Hertz Corporate Owned locations only.
- Eligible rentals must be paid by 11/15/2022 in order to qualify.
- Excludes independently licensed locations, Hertz Car Sales, and Rent2Buy.
- Not valid for bookings made through travel agents, third parties, or affiliate booking sites.
This isn’t a big win, but if you were going to rent from Hertz anyway, it’s nice to have the option to get a bit back. One potential issue is that most Amex cards don’t offer rental car insurance and for those that do, it’s not primary. I’ve never tried this, but one solution that we’ve heard of is to use a card with primary insurance for reserving the car up front and then when returning the car (assuming there were no problems) changing the payment to your Amex. If you’ve tried this kind of credit card swap, please let us know if it worked for you.