|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Update 1/20/23: Today is the last day to book IHG award stays at a 20% discount. This discount applies to almost every IHG property and there are some great deals out there. It’s worth taking a look today to see if there’s anything that works into your travel plans between now and March 10th.
IHG has once again launched an award sale giving a 20% discount on stays of 1-3 nights. This currently is available for cardholders and both Platinum and Diamond members of IHG’s One Rewards program.
While it doesn’t stack with the 4th night free benefit, it does stack with 40k free night certificates and has come at just the right time for me personally as it’ll help us maximize our certificates and save us a bunch of points on those same stays.
- Save 20% when booking award stays of 1-3 nights with IHG.
- This discount offer (“Offer”) is available to those IHG One Rewards members who have a Chase IHG Rewards credit card and who have been granted access to the discount when booking a Reward Night at a participating hotel through an official IHG online reservations site while signed into their IHG One Rewards account. (It is also available to IHG One Rewards Platinum and Diamond members.
- The Offer is for a 20% discount off the number of points needed to book a stay using points only. If using Points & Cash, the 20% discount will be applied to the cash portion of each available option.
- Only those Reward Nights booked by 1/20/2023 for stays during the period from 1/9/2023 through 3/10/2023 qualify for the Offer.
- The 20% discount is offered at time of booking as identified on the participating hotel’s booking page.
- The Offer is not available to use along with the “Fourth Reward Night Free” cardmember benefit when booking a stay of four (4) or more consecutive Reward Nights.
- The Offer will be applied for eligible cardmembers booking three (3) or fewer consecutive Reward Nights.
- This Offer is not from Chase. Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide, the stated benefits and services.
This is at least the third time that IHG has run this sale and it’s a great way to save on shorter stays of 1-3 nights. The sale gives a discount on all award bookings and the savings are legit. Seeing as IHG uses dynamic award pricing, there’s the potential that they could bump up award pricing ahead of sales such as these. Based on anecdotal experience based on searches I’d done recently though, that doesn’t seem to have happened – you really will get a 20% discount on whatever the prices would ordinarily be.
This award sale can also help your 40,000 point IHG free night certificates go even further, particularly the certificates from the IHG Select card that can’t be topped up. For example, we’re going to be in South Africa next month and are flying back to the US from Johannesburg. We have an early morning flight and so I’d booked a stay at the InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport as it’s right opposite the international arrivals hall and so we can walk over. At the time it cost 46,000 points, so I redeemed a free night certificate from my IHG Premier card and topped it up with 6,000 points.
My in-laws are now going to be joining us in South Africa and they’ll be flying back the same day as us, so just the other day I booked a stay for them at the same hotel. The pricing had reduced to 43,000 points which meant I had to redeem my wife’s IHG Premier free night certificate which was a little annoying because she has an IHG Select free night certificate that ends in a couple of months but which couldn’t be used on this booking due to it not being possible to top it up with points.
This award sale has changed that though. The InterContinental that was previously 43,000 points for the night is now 34,400 points.
That means we can now rebook that property using her IHG Select certificate as I was getting concerned it would go to waste.
I’d not bothered rebooking my initial stay when the price dropped from 46,000 points to 43,000 points, but I think I will do that now because the sale means I can book the stay using solely the certificate, thereby saving 6,000 points on that reservation too.
If you have early access to this award sale, note that you have to be logged in to your account in order to see the reduced pricing. If and when it gets rolled out to all members, I’d assume that the discounted pricing will be reflected on all award searches, but perhaps not.
Also note that even though this award sale is valid on stays through March 10, you have to book your stay by January 20 which doesn’t give you very long to take advantage of it.