|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Southwest Airlines is offering a targeted 40% discount on the purchase of Rapid Rewards points. While purchasing point still wouldn’t make sense under ordinary circumstances, it makes for a great stack with today’s offer for Southwest credit cardholders to earn 50x on up to $100 in Southwest purchases. If targeted, you can effectively get 10,950 Rapid Rewards points for $99 — a price of just 0.9c per point, which is a great deal.
- Southwest has a targeted offer for 40-45% off when buying Rapid Rewards points. This deal could stack very nicely with today’s offer for 50x points for cardholders
- Offer valid 6/1 to 6/13/21 at 11:59:59pm CT.
- 40% discount on points purchases of 3,000 to 14,000 points
- 45% discount on purchases of 15,000 points or more
The 40% discount here is targeted (and it actually goes up to 45% when buying more points). Reader Tyler reported this promo in the comments of Stephen’s post about today’s 50x offer and sent me the screen shots. The targeted offer here is good for 40% off when purchasing 3,000 or more points. The best deal for a maximizer is buying 6,000 points for $99.
That’s because 6,000 points comes down to $99 with the discount, which will earn 4,950 points for a Southwest credit card holder for a total of 10,950 points for $99. Given that points are more flexible than cash or gift cards, I’d be happy to invest in this option over a gift card (and certainly so if I ultimately wanted to book an award flight). Southwest points are worth around 1.4c per point toward Wanna Get Away fares, so you’ll ultimately get more than $150 in value out of the points. As I said, I like having Southwest points since a cancellation puts the points right back in your account to have and hold and use as you wish rather than a credit that expires in a year or is tied to a specific passenger.
My first reaction here was that the buy points page says it is “Powered by Points.com” and as such I thought that the purchase might be processed by Points.com rather than Southwest and not qualify for 50x. However, the terms of the 50x offer state (bold is mine for emphasis):
- During the one-day promotional period of 6/11/2021 from 12:00:00 AM ET – 11:59 PM E.T. you will qualify and earn a total of 50 points for each $1 spent with any Rapid Rewards Credit Card, on up to $100.00 in total purchases, made directly with Southwest Airlines, including flight, inflight, Southwest gift card, Rapid Rewards Points Center, and on Southwest Vacations packages (“Qualifying Purchases”).
We believe that means that buying points here would trigger the promotion. I don’t know for sure whether or not the points purchase would also trigger the $75 annual Southwest credit on the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority card. My wife is going to upgrade her Premier card to the Priority Card today to try to stack the $75 credit with the 50x offer despite the fact that I’m not sure the credit will work on Day 1 (should have upgraded sooner!).
Again, if you’re able to buy points at a discount, it could be a great use of the 50x promo. If you are targeted, I think you’ll see the discount when logged in to your Southwest account and trying to buy points.