American Express is sending out targeted spending offers to cardholders of the no annual fee Hilton Honors credit card and possibly other cards too. The offer my wife received is for 1,000 bonus points for every $500 spent on the card with a limit of 10,000 bonus points.
- Earn 1,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for every $500 spent on the Hilton Honors American Express credit card if targeted for this spending offer.
- Enrollment is required to participate. Offer to enroll is available to eligible Basic Card Members and Additional Card Members who hold a Hilton Honors American Express Card, limited to 1 enrolled Card per Card Account. If you have multiple eligible Cards, only one Hilton Honors American Express Card can be enrolled to participate and only purchases made on that enrolled Card Account will count towards the Threshold Amount.
- Starting from the date of enrollment through February 28, 2023 (“Purchase Period”), the Basic Card Member on an enrolled Card Account will earn 1,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points each time $500 in eligible purchases (“Threshold Amount”) is made on their enrolled Card Account, up to a maximum of 10,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points. Eligible purchases made by both the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Member(s) on the enrolled Card Account will count towards the Threshold Amount. Eligible purchases completed prior to enrollment will not count towards the Threshold Amount.
- Eligible purchases are for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases of reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents. Hilton Honors Bonus Points will be posted to your Hilton Honors account 8-12 weeks after you reach the Threshold Amount.
- Purchases may fall outside of the Purchase Period (and therefore not contribute to the Threshold Amount) in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). To receive the Hilton Honors Bonus Points, your Card Account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of fulfillment. The Hilton Honors Bonus Points you may earn during the Purchase Period as part of this offer are in addition to any other Hilton Honors Bonus Points you may get from using your Card. For questions regarding your Card Account, please call the number on the back of your Card.
As mentioned above, my wife received this offer on her no annual fee Hilton Honor credit card. Its normal earnings are as follows:
- Hilton stays
- U.S. grocery stores
- U.S. restaurants
- U.S. gas stations
- Everything else
This offer gives 2x bonus Hilton Honors points per dollar if spending in exact increments of $500. That makes it a 5x card for everyday spend and 7x for grocery, dining and gas station purchases. Those are very good returns for a no annual fee card and even means grocery store spend would earn at a higher rather than the 6x offered on the Hilton Surpass credit card.
What would be nice is if this same spending offer gets rolled out to cardholders of the Hilton Surpass, Aspire and/or Business credit cards. Those cards all offer big spend bonuses giving a free night certificate, so earning an additional 1,000 bonus points for every $500 spent could make those spending bonuses even more worthwhile. Even if you’ve already earned the free night certificates on those cards for 2022, this spending offer is valid through February 28, 2023. That means you could get a boost on the first $5,000 of spend in the new year, but that’s assuming this offer is indeed available on cards other than the no annual fee Hilton credit card.