Not only is Capital One offering a transfer bonus to Flying Blue this month, but American Express is too at a slightly better rate.
- Get a 25% bonus when transferring American Express Membership Rewards to Air France/KLM Flying Blue.
- Expires November 30, 2021.
At 25%, the transfer bonus from Amex is slightly better than the 20% bonus from Capital One.
Despite that, it might be better to take advantage of the Capital One transfer bonus over the Amex one if you value Membership Rewards more highly than Capital One miles. Capital One also lets you transfer in increments of 100 miles (provided you transfer at least 1,000 of them), whereas with Amex you have to transfer in multiples of 1,000.
Flying Blue relaunched Promo Rewards to and from the US this month, but when Nick checked the other day they weren’t pricing out at the discounted rate. Keep an eye on those routes though because reduced award pricing stacked with one of these transfer bonuses could make for a decent deal.
- Air France Flying Blue Promo Rewards. Each month, Air France offers discounted award rates for a number of routes. Sometimes we see economy flights from the US to Europe available for less than 11,000 miles one-way.
- Fly to Israel for the same award price as to Europe. For example, you may see business class flights from the U.S. to Israel for as low as 55,000 miles one-way.
- Delta economy flights between the US and Hawaii for 17,500 miles one-way. Air France also has great award prices for Delta first class to Hawaii, but Delta rarely releases first class award space on its Hawaii routes.
Things to know
- Air France awards usually incur taxes and fees.
- Award availability may be hard to find. Acquire Flying Blue miles only if you know that the awards you want are available.
- Flying Blue miles expire 2 years after they are earned. Keeping miles alive beyond two years is… weird:
- As long as you don’t credit any flying activity to your account, you can renew your miles by acquiring more miles through non-flight activity. For example, transferring miles from a transferable points program will renew these miles.
- If you earn miles by crediting flight activity to your account, then all of your miles become flight activity miles and can only be extended by taking an eligible flight (and crediting it to Flying Blue), or by being an elite member, or making a purchase with your Air France / KLM Flying Blue credit card.
- For more details, see: Air France’s Flying Blue miles are easier to extend than I thought