Update: It looks like this offer is now only valid for accounts that are registered in Mexico (it won’t even let US-based Club Premier accounts register for the promotion). Since the bonus is on the Aeromexico side, this is pretty much dead for US-based cardholders. We’ve removed the links as well.
Aeromexico is offering a limited-time 30-40% bonus when transferring Membership Rewards to Aeromexico Club Premier. The bonus is on Aeromexico’s side and depends on whether or not you’ve transferred MR into Club Premier within the last two years. If you have, the bonus is 30%. If you haven’t (which I’m assuming is most of us), it’s 40%.
Aeromexico is part of SkyTeam, so you can use Club Premier Points to book partner awards on Delta, Air France, KLM, Korean Air and more. It also has access to Avianca and Copa flights, adding additional options to/from South America. With the 40% bonus, the transfer rate becomes 1 MR – 2.24 CP, which creates some interesting possibilities.
- Earn more Premier Points on your Membership Rewards transfers to Club Premier:
- Earn 40% more Premier Points (1 MR:2.24 Premier Points) if you have not transferred your Membership Rewards to Club Premier within the last 2 years.
- Earn 30% more Premier Points (1 MR:2.08 Premier Points) if you have transferred your Membership Rewards to Club Premier within the last 2 years.
- Note that you must register with Aeromexico before transferring points
Terms and Conditions
- Expires June 30th, 2022 at 11:59pm MT.
- The first transfer of points must be for a minimum of 1,000 Membership Rewards Points.
- Transfers can take up to two days to process, but Aeromexico claims that the bonus will be available within 30 minutes of receiving the transfer (YMMV).
This is an unusual promotion as the transfer rate changes based on whether or not the cardholder has transferred Membership Rewards points to Aeromexico within the last two years. My assumption is that most readers haven’t, so let’s take a look at the 40% bonus.
The normal transfer rate from Membership Rewards to Aeromexico is 1 MR:1.6 CP, so the 40% transfer bonus increases that to 1 MR:2.24 CP. Aeromexico’s SkyTeam award chart (roundtrip) is below:
Normally, these rates are non-competitive when compared to other SkyTeam partners. However, this bonus actually creates some decent award pricing, especially given that quite a few folks are swimming in Membership Rewards right now. Factor in Nick’s discovery earlier this year that Aeromexico can have better Delta award availability than other partners and this looks like it could be a surprisingly worthwhile transfer for some folks to explore.
Highlights that immediately jump out to me (roundtrip prices listed in Membership Rewards, including transfer bonus):
- US – Caribbean in economy for 25,000-31,000
- US – Northern South America in Business for 66,000-71,000
- US – Europe in Business for 98,000-102,000
- US – North/Southest Asia for 114,000 – 125,000
- US – North Africa/Middle East for 115,000-127,000
~100,000 MR points for roundtrip business class travel to Europe on SkyTeam is very good, as is 114-125,000 MR points roundtrip business to anywhere in North and Southeast Asia. That said, saver availability is difficult to find right now. I was able to find some business class options to both Asia and Europe in the Fall, but overall it’s tough out there. Economy was fairly plentiful. So, before transferring, its best to make sure that you have a specific award in mind and confirm that it’s available.