|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
This coming Sunday, August 16th, to Saturday, August 22nd, 2020, Staples will be offering $5 off on Visa Gift Cards, with a limit of 5 per customer.
- Staples is offering $5 off the purchase fee when you buy a $200 Visa Gift Card from 8/16/20 to 8/22/20
- Direct link to the weekly ad (see page 8 of the 8/16-8/22 ad)
- Valid 8/16/20 to 8/22/20
- In store only.
- Limit 5 per customer per day.
We’ve just recently seen fee-free Visa Gift Cards. It’s a bummer that Staples appears to be testing a deal that’s a couple bucks worse: between the increased “official” limit of 5 per customer per day and this little cost creep, it almost feels like they’re testing to see where the threshold is for points enthusiasts.
This obviously isn’t as good of a deal as fee-free (which wasn’t as good as the old days of negative-cost Visa Gift Cards), but it’s still easy to come out well ahead:
- $200 Visa Gift Card + $6.97 activation fee – $5 off the fee = $201.97 per card
- $201.97 x 5 cards = $1,009.85 spent
- $1,009.85 x 5 points per dollar = 5,049 Ultimate Rewards points (if paying with a Chase Ink Cash card for instance)
Alternatively, if you have the current Amex Offer for 10% back at Staples (up to $40 back) synced on your Amex card, you could come out quite profitable on two $200 cards. There is of course some risk of clawback with Amex, but we’ve not seen them do that on Staples purchases before.
It’s obviously disappointing to pay ten bucks in fees when the cards were so recently fee-free, but the points are certainly still worth more than the $9.85 in fees.
We’ve added this to our current Visa and Mastercard gift card deals.
H/T: Doctor of Credit