|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Update 9/2/20: This offer has been extended to October 31, 2020, so there’s plenty of time to take advantage of this offer now.
I (Stephen) had rushed to get five tasks completed by August 31 (its original expiry date), so I’ve already maxed this out as I managed to get my final two tasks completed on the (original) final day.
In case you need any inspiration as to how to earn 10,000 fairly easy MileagePlus miles, here’s what I did. Before doing that, one important thing to note is that you need to “reload” the offers to your United Visa Rewards account in the MPX app every week. I made a mistake when doing the Chili’s offer as 7 days had passed when I paid for a gift card in-restaurant, so I had to buy a second one after reloading the offer to my United card.
Offer 1 – 1,000 miles – Barnes & Noble
My wife wanted to buy a couple of books at Barnes & Noble, so I gave her my United Explorer card to pay for those as the app was offering 10x bonus miles.
The books cost $19.24, so we earned 192 miles plus the 1,000 bonus miles for completing the first offer.
Offer 2 – 1,500 miles – HSN
We spent most of August in a somewhat rural area, so we were limited as to which offers I could take advantage of. I therefore placed the cheapest order I could with HSN – a pair of socks for $4 with shipping of $3.95.
I clicked through from TopCashback as they were offering 10% cashback, so that earned $0.40 seeing as cashback isn’t earned on the shipping fee.
United Visa Rewards was offering 12 miles per dollar for HSN, so we earned 48 miles from that, plus 1,500 bonus miles for the second offer.
Offer 3 – 2,000 miles – Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen
Next up was a trip to Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen as United Visa Rewards was offering 7 bonus miles per dollar. I bought a $10 gift card even though we have no plans to eat at a Cheddar’s because it’s a Darden restaurant brand. As a result, their gift cards can also be used at Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, Yard House, Bahama Breeze and Seasons 52.
That purchase earned us 70 miles plus the 2,000 miles for completing the third offer.
Offer 4 – 2,500 miles – Chili’s
We arrived in Virginia Beach on August 31, so I made a couple of stops to complete the last two offers I needed. First up was a trip to Chili’s where I bought a $10 gift card for future use (buying online doesn’t work as Chili’s doesn’t process payment themselves). As mentioned earlier, I actually had to do this twice as the offer wasn’t linked to my card correctly the first time.
At 5 miles per dollar from United Visa Rewards, that earned 50 miles, plus 2,500 bonus miles for completing the fourth offer.
Offer 5 – 3,000 miles – Yard House
The fifth and final offer I completed was buying a $10 gift card at Yard House. Similar to the Cheddar’s deal, United Visa Rewards was offering 7x. Also similar to Cheddar’s, gift cards bought at Yard House can be used at any Darden restaurant brand.
At 7 miles per dollar, that was another 70 miles plus 3,000 bonus miles for completing the fifth offer.
Money Spent & Miles Earned
As a result of these five purchases, here’s what we spent and the rewards we earned:
- $7.55 (includes the $0.40 cashback)
- Total = $56.79
Other than the $7.55 from HSN, that was all money we’d have spent anyway seeing as we’d be ordering food from Chili’s and Olive Garden in the future anyway.
- 57 (miles earned from regular spend on my United Explorer card)
- Total = 10,487
That’s like buying United MileagePlus miles for 0.54cpp, but with the added benefit of having $30 of gift cards, two books and a pair of socks to show for it.
The United Mileage Plus X app is offering a great bonus opportunity for Chase United Visa cardholders (which includes the no-fee version of the card): earn up to 10,000 bonus miles with 5 small purchases.
- United’s MileagePlus X app (MPX) is offering up to 10,000 bonus miles when syncing and completing offers with your Chase United Visa card:
- Complete 1st offer, get 1,000 miles
- Complete 2nd offer, get 1,500 additional miles
- Complete 3rd offer, get 2,000 additional miles
- Complete 4th offer, get 2,500 additional miles
- Complete 5th offer, get 3,000 additional miles
- To be eligible for this bonus offer, you must be a United Chase Visa Cardmember during the promotion period August 1, 2020 to
August 31, 2020October 31, 2020.
- Delays by the merchant, such as shipping, could extend the transaction date beyond the offer period.
- You will qualify for and receive bonus miles if you are enrolled in the United Visa Rewards program via the MileagePlus X app and complete at least one offer.
- To complete an offer, you must first view the offer in the MileagePlus X app and then make a purchase with your linked credit card per the terms of the offer.
- Offers can be viewed in the MileagePlus X app after enrollment.
- Purchases posted to your account with a transaction date between August 1, 2020 and August 31, 2020 are eligible for this offer.
- Please allow 6–8 weeks after the United Visa Rewards holiday promotion ends on August 31, 2020 for bonus miles to post to your MileagePlus account.
- Bonus Miles will post directly to your MileagePlus account and will not appear on your credit card statement
This offer is potentially targeted, but it seems widely available among those with a Chase United Visa synced with their Mileage Plus X app.
To find the qualifying offers, open the Mileage Plus X app and select “United Visa Rewards”.
Yesterday, Stephen confirmed at GC Galore that a small in-store purchase like a $10 gift card will trigger these offers, meaning that you could trigger five offers with as little as $50 in gift card purchases — maybe less if you can find a smaller purchase (I don’t see a minimum amount per store in the terms). That’s a great deal if you have any use for the gift cards since you’d end up with $50 in gift cards and 10,000 miles. You may be able to trigger these with even less spend in some cases.
Note that while the in-app image of these deals says “Online only”, in some cases when you click through to the individual offer terms, they state that they are valid in-store (like at Chili’s and Barnes & Noble for instance).
Overall, these should be a pretty easy 10K miles for anyone with a United Visa card. Here were the offers I saw in the app, though your offers may vary some (Greg had an offer for a Costco membership that I did not have). Note also that each offer has its own max number of miles earned in addition to the above bonuses, so check the terms for each in your app:
- Chili’s: 5 miles per dollar
- Radisson Hotels: 25 miles per dollar
- SwimOutlet.com: 250 miles on a $25+ purchase
- YogaOutlet.com: 250 miles on a $25+ purchase
- Bahama Breeze To Go: 7 miles per dollar
- Yard House To Go: 7 miles per dollar
- Barnes & Noble: 10 miles per dollar
- 24S: 5 miles per dollar
- Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen To Go: 7 miles per dollar
- Sears: 17 miles per dollar
- Texas Roadhouse: 17 miles per dollar
- LongHorn Steakhouse To Go: 7 miles per dollar
Note that online gift cards from the restaurants above likely won’t work since those purchases would be run by CashStar instead of the restaurant.
H/T: GC Galore