|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Update: There’s an alternative offer giving 5x in different categories including grocery stores and drugstores – full details are below.
Be sure to check your emails as Citi is sending out targeted offers for 5x points at certain categories of stores which includes Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowe’s.
- Earn 5x points on purchases at the following types of store with a targeted Citi spending offer:
- Consumer electronic stores
- Home improvement stores
- Department stores
- Home furnishing stores
- Alternative offer – Earn 5x points on purchases at the following types of store with a targeted Citi spending offer:
- Grocery stores
- Gas stations
- Mass transit & commuter transportation vendors
- Must activate by October 15, 2020.
- This offer starts upon enrollment and will end on November 30, 2020.
- Earnings associated with this program will equal 4 bonus ThankYou Point(s) per $1 spent on eligible purchases and may overlap with other special offers in which you are currently enrolled.
- Bonus points awarded with this offer are subject to a maximum of 2,500 additional points.
- This offer excludes purchases made at discount stores, supercenters, warehouses, and independent contractors.
- Home Improvement Stores are classified as merchants that primarily sell hardware, appliances and/or tools for home repair and remodeling. Home Furnishing Stores are classified as merchants that primarily sell furniture for homes. Computer & Electronics Stores are classified as merchants that sell, repair or lease a wide variety of electronic goods, including computer hardware, software and related equipment. Department Stores are classified as merchants that provide a general line of merchandise from departments that usually have separate checkout counters.
- ThankYou Points earned will be posted to the primary cardmember’s account in 1-2 billing cycles.
I received this offer on my Citi Premier card, so the offer earns 5x ThankYou points. I wouldn’t be surprised if other types of Citi credit cards get targeted with this offer though, so there might be versions of this like 5% cashback on the Citi Dividend, 5x on American Airlines Platinum Select, etc.
Note that the offer is for 5x points rather than 5x bonus points, so you only earn 5x points rather than a total of 6x. The limit of 2,500 bonus points is based on the 4x bonus points you earn, so this offer is good on up to $625 of spend.
While that’s not a huge limit, it’ll prove to be useful for many of those targeted considering eligible stores will include Best Buy, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Macy’s, JCPenney, etc. Even better, the offer is good through November 30 which means you can use it for Black Friday shopping if you’ve not already maxed it out by then.
If you receive an email about this offer, be sure to click the activation link within the email.
Update: Following my original post, my suspicions were correct that other cards would receive targeted offers too, but the offers themselves have been different in some cases.
For example, Greg received a 5x offer for grocery/drugstore/gas station/mass transit on his Citi Prestige card, while other readers have commented below to confirm they’ve received the same offer. That includes 5x on a ThankYou Preferred card, as well as 3x on an American Airlines card.
For most people, this alternative offer will definitely be better as grocery stores and drugstores will be much easier to max out.