British Airways has launched a promotion offering 50% bonus Avios when booking with Airbnb, Avis, IHG and Airbnb Experiences. While the IHG rate won’t be of interest to many, the increased Airbnb earnings easily beat what you’ll receive when booking via their partnership with Delta.
- Earn 50% bonus Avios with select British Airways travel partners:
- Airbnb – 4.5x
- Avis – 7.5x
- IHG – 1,000 bonus points for 2+ night stay
- Airbnb Experiences – 4.5x
- Direct link to offer.
- In order to collect Avios via Airbnb, British Airways Executive Club customers must book their stay through Airbnb only. Customers must have cookies enabled in the browser and complete the booking in the same session for Airbnb to track the booking.
- During the booking process, the customer must provide their British Airways Executive Club Membership Number. If an incorrect membership number is entered, the Avios may not be awarded.
- Only Avios can be collected, not tier points.
- Offer is available for new bookings made between 31 May 2022 and 28 June 2022 (“Promotional Period”).
- The collection rate of Avios for Airbnb bookings during the promotional period is 4.5 Avios per £1 / $1 / €1 spend. The Avios award will be based on USD value.
- The membership number of the intended beneficiary of the Avios must belong to the individual making the booking.
- Avios will be credited to the intended beneficiary account within 60 days of booking date. All Avios, including any bonus Avios, will be credited in a single transaction.
- To Participate, Eligible Participants must rent an Avis vehicle within the rental car group C or above and minimum of 3 days. (“Eligible Rentals”).
- The Eligible Avis Rental must be booked between 00:01 31 May 2022 and 23:59 28 June 2022; and picked up between 00:01 1 September 2022 and 23:59 31 October 2022.
- Eligible Rentals must be made using a British Airways/Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) number: Gold members N744400; Silver members N744300; Bronze members N284300; Blue members N744100.
- Reservations made on ba.com (post-login) and carhire-ba.com (with British Airways Executive Club passenger type selected) or with the British Airways Call Centre will automatically have the correct AWD embedded in the rental.
- To collect Avios the Eligible Rentals must include the British Airways Executive Club membership number of the first named driver (the “renter”). The BAEC account number must be given at time of rental.
- Valid for all participating rental locations globally. Offer subject to vehicle availability.
- Eligible Rentals will receive 2.5 bonus Avios in addition to the standard award of 5 Avios per £1 spent, equalling 7.5 Avios per £1 spent on qualifying rentals.
- If the rental is not paid in £ sterling, then the currency will be changed to £ sterling at the Avis Exchange rate applicable on date of rental commencement (the date the car is collected). The final rental value used to calculate the Avios award will exclude any charges for damage (actual damage charges or insurance excesses charged due to damage) and will exclude all taxes.
- This Avios bonus is not valid on Prestige, Van or Chauffeur Drive rentals worldwide.
- Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other coupon, promotion or mileage offer.
- The awarding of Avios may take up to 8 weeks from date of rental.
The IHG part of this promotion can be ignored because 1,000 Avios for a stay of 2+ nights is a poor return, unless you’re averse to earning IHG One Rewards points on your stays.
Earning 7.5x Avios for Avis car rental bookings could be of interest, although there are some caveats there. It might be possible to use a different AWD or other code in order to get a cheaper rental that could work out to provide better value than the bonus Avios you’d earn using the British Airways AWD. The BA AWD also requires reservations of 3+ days for a Group C or above vehicle, plus many other airlines and hotel chains have their own partnerships with Avis that might provide better (or more convenient) earnings in their own rewards currency rather than earning Avios.
Where this promotion really shines then is with Airbnb stays and Airbnb Experiences. Airbnb isn’t available via any standard shopping portals, so earning anything on those bookings is worth it. The only alternative option to get rewarded for Airbnb stays is via Delta’s partnership with Airbnb which offers 1 SkyMile per dollar, so you’d need to value 1 Avios at less than 22% of the value of 1 SkyMile to make the Delta partnership a better option.
The increased earning rate for Airbnb stays and Experiences is valid for bookings made by June 28, 2022, but it seems like it’s valid on stays/experiences through the end of the booking calendar. After June 28, new Airbnb reservations booked via BA’s partnership will revert back to the standard 3x Avios earning rate.