|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.|
Google Pay is offering two promotions: existing users can get $5.50 cashback on $10 spend at Burger King. They are also running a referral promotion today and tomorrow for $11 cashback for each friend you invite you spends $10+ on February 6th or 7th. Your friend gets $5 back after spending $10. That means that a newly-referred user should be able to stack both and get a total of $10.50 back on $10 at Burger King (or the $5 new user bonus on any other $10 transaction). That’s a greatly reduced referral promotion as compared to the excellent deal they ran in December, but it beats the offers they have posted since and it might be worth it for Burger King fans.
- Google Pay is running two separate promotions that could stack for new users (and existing users can make use of the Burger King promo)
- Burger King: Get $5.50 cashback with a minimum $10 spend at Burger King (Expires 2/8/21)
- New user referral promotion: Sign up through a referral and send $10 to a friend or make a $10 contactless payment in-store with an NFC-enabled Android phone and get $5 back. The person referring you gets $11 back. See details below about how to leverage this to earn $21 pretty easily in one household with 2 players. If you’re starting that daisy chain, feel free to sign up with one of our links with our thanks:
Burger King terms:
- Earn $5.50 cashback when you activate this offer and make a qualify transaction of $10 or more with your enrolled card. Expires Feb 7, 2021 at 8:59pm PT.
- Valid at participating Burger King locations in the US. Not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, or US territories
- Valid for dine-din, delivery, and takeaway orders in store, on the Burger King app and website, or in the Google Pay app and other Google properties that support online food ordering
- You can earn a maximum of 1 reward with this offer. Subject to availability while supplies last.
- You must be opted into Google Pay rewards and have at least one eligible payment card enrolled in the program
- You do not have to use Google Pay to pay. If you’re using a debit card, pay with signature, not PIN.
- Both you and your friend must be opted into Google Pay rewards to be eligible
- Your friend must be new to Google Pay and must not have accepted any previous referrals
- Your friend needs to make a qualifying transaction of $10 or more
- While supplies last, for each of your fir5 completed referrals you could get $11 for yourself and $5 for your eligible referred friend when they sgn up with your unique referral code and make their first qualifying payment of $10 or more within the offer period (Feb 6-7, 2021). These include:
- Sending money to a friend they haven’t paid before; OR
- Making a contactess payment in-store (NFC-enabled Android phones only)
Again, there are two deals at play here. The first is a Google Pay offer for $5.50 back on $10 at Burger King, and 55% back is no small return for Burger King fans.
The Burger King deal requires you to make a qualifying transaction of $10 or more with your enrolled card (i.e. a card you’ve linked for rewards with Google Pay). It is valid for dine-in, delivery, and takeaway orders in-store, on the app or website, or in the Google Pay app — so that deal should be easy whether you’re a new user or existing user. I’m not a Burger King guy myself, but if I pass one by this weekend I might stop in to see if I can buy a gift card anyway for someone else.
The referral promotion will give the person referring you $11 (up to 5 completed referrals) after you sign up using a referral code and make your first qualifying payment of $10 or more between February 6-7. As a new customer signing up, you get $5 back after that first qualifying payment.
The confusing part is what qualifies as a qualifying payment. Only these two things qualify:
- Sending money to a friend you haven’t paid before; OR
- Making a contactless payment in-store with an NFC-enabled Android phone only
In other words, if you want to sack this with the Burger King deal, you’ll have to use Google Pay in-store.
However, even if you’re not into Burger King, this could be a win for a couple playing in 2-player mode. I think this would work:
- Player 1 signs up via referral and then sends a referral to Player 2 to sign up for Google Pay
- Player 2 signs up for Google Pay via Player 1’s referral
- Player 1 sends $10 to Player 2 (which should fulfill the requirements for Player 1 to get $5 as a new user who signed up through a referral)
- Player 2 sends $10 back to Player 1 (which should trigger both the $11 referral bonus for Player 1 and the $5 bonus for Player 2).
In total, I think you should earn $21 as a couple without actually spending anything. Alternatively, Player 2 could refer another family member and keep the daisy chain going, just make sure that family member will follow through and sign up and complete their part in time since this is only valid for 2 days. I should note that Google Pay has come down hard on some types of shenanigans like this in the past, though with the very low caps here I just can’t imagine that drawing negative attention. The idea is to encourage people to use the service and I think this still accomplishes that.
Both deals here could be appealing. I’d love to see Google Pay come back with an offer like that December Target one, but we haven’t seen anything similar since. Still, deals like 15% back at Panera and 20% back at Burger King recently have been good for those who can take advantage. This could be at least a bit better than the norm.