There is a new targeted Marriott Amex Offer that appeared today on some Marriott Bonvoy Business credit cards. The offer gives those targeted 7500 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points when spending $2000+ on their business card by 3/31/23. It also states that the cardholder must enroll by 1/31/23 in order to qualify.
- Spend $2000 or more on one purchases on an Amex Bonvoy Business card by 3/31/2023, get 7500 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points (must enroll by 1/31/23)
- Must enroll by 1/31/23 and complete spend by 3/31/23
- Limit 1 enrolled card per member
- Valid only on purchases made in US dollars
- Mobile/digital wallet purchases may not be recognized as qualifying
- Bonus points will be credited within 90 days of 3/31/23
This is an interesting departure from the standard Marriott Amex offers which give a statement credit for reaching a given level of spend at Marriott properties. This one is limited to Bonvoy Business cards only and is effectively a 3.75x spending bonus on $2000 total purchases.
The Bonvoy Business card has the following earning rates:
- 6x at Marriott properties (9.75x with Amex Offer)
- 4x on gas, dining, shipping and wireless phone service (7.75x with Amex Offer)
- 2x everywhere else (5.75x with Amex Offer)
The normal rates don’t really warrant putting non-brand spend on the card, but this Amex Offer could make it appealing.
Our recently updated Marriott Bonvoy Reasonable Redemption Values (RRV’s) have Bonvoy points pegged at 0.8 cents each. Using that, the Amex Offer brings the return on Marriott spend to 7.8%, the other bonused categories to 6.2% and base spending to 4.6%. These are all good rates, especially if you have spend at Marriott properties before April.
If it were me, I would most likely use the offer for Marriott spend and then buy a few gift cards from gas stations to make up the difference to $2K. That said, for some folks, it could still be worth using it towards organic spend as well, so long as the total spend is kept to as close to $2000 as possible.