Chase Ultimate Rewards is offering a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club until mid-June. This is a Chase bonus, so you will see it in the Ultimate Rewards transfer portal and will receive the additional miles when the transfer oocurs. By using this bonus, it’s possible to book Delta One flights from the US-Europe for 39,000 points each way.
- Chase Ultimate Rewards is offering a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club through 6/15/22.
- Bonus Virgin Flying Club offer is valid for Chase Ultimate Rewards® point transfers to Virgin Flying Club completed between 12:00AM ET on May 1, 2022 and 11:59PM ET on June 15, 2022.
- Minimum transfer is 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points.
- You will receive 30% Bonus Virgin Flying Club Miles for each Ultimate Rewards point transferred during the promotional period listed above. For example, if you transfer 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points, you will receive a total of 1,300 Virgin Flying Club Miles.
Virgin Atlantic has long been loved for a couple of key sweet spots. Unfortunately, during the pandemic, they quietly took away many of the best opportunities for booking Delta award tickets. One key sweet spot for Delta flights remains: US cities to/from Europe cost just 50,000 Virgin Atlantic miles in business class on Delta, which Nick was able to use earlier this year for four Delta One tickets to Amsterdam. The transfer bonus means that you only need 39,000 Chase points per ticket.
While it’s almost never a good idea to transfer speculatively, this bonus can create some terrific opportunities for European travel, so it would pay to look around at availability. If you’re not familiar with using Flying Club, see Greg’s excellent prime here.
- ANA First Class from the US for 55K (West Coast) - 60K (East Coast). Probably the sweetest of Virgin Points sweet spots is a First Class award from the US to Japan on ANA. ANA has one of the best first class products around, often selling for over $20,000. This is an incredible points value...especially now that you can now book one-way awards for half the price shown above. It's worth noting that ANA flights can't be booked on the VA website, so you have to call or message via Twitter (see below).
- US to UK Economy for 10K (East Coast) - 15K (West Coast). Virgin Points can be used to fly to London at great value. Virgin Atlantic offers the same pricing whether flying Delta or Virgin Atlantic, but fees are higher when flying Delta. Flying from the US to London for 10K to 15K during standard season is a bargain even after accounting for moderate award fees ($150-225). Note that flights originating in the UK have considerably higher fees.
- Delta Business from US to Europe for 50K. Virgin Points can be used to book Delta business class from the US to Europe for only 50,000 points one way, with minimal surcharges when flying from the US. Flights to/from the UK and originating in Europe include extremely high award fees. Mixed Partner Awards can be an excellent value as well.
- Air France or KLM flights within Europe. Virgin Atlantic has great rates for nonstop flights within Europe on Air France or KLM. They charge between 4K and 8.5K for nonstop economy flights under 1250 miles in distance (which is most within Europe), and between 8K and 9K for business class flights under 600 miles in distance. Details here: Air France & KLM across Europe for less.
Things to know
- Virgin Points purchases are processed by points.com and DO NOT qualify as airfare.
- Virgin Points do not expire.
- Many itineraries can be booked online at virginatlantic.com. This includes some partner flights such as Delta, Air France, and KLM.
- For partner flights that cannot be booked online, it is sometimes possible book via Twitter by sending a direct message on Twitter to @VirginAtlantic. If they respond that they cannot sell any flights which do not fly via the UK, tell them that you are not looking to purchase a flight but rather to redeem points to book an award ticket.
- Virgin Atlantic charges separately for every leg of the trip. When multiple legs are required, it is often cheaper to book the same flights with Air France Flying Blue miles or (sometimes) Delta SkyMiles.
- Point transfers from Amex, Chase, or Citi to Virgin Atlantic are usually instantaneous. It's best to find available award space before transferring points and then transfer and book the award.