|Sorry, this deal is no longer available. Do you want to be alerted about new deals as they’re published? Click here to subscribe to Frequent Miler's Instant Posts by email.
In addition to the 30% bonus American Express is offering when transferring Membership Rewards points to Virgin Atlantic, they’re also offering a 20% transfer bonus to Singapore Airlines. Unlike Virgin Atlantic, this bonus is targeted and not appearing in all accounts, so you’ll have to check the partner transfer dashboard to see if you’re targeted.
We don’t often see transfer bonuses to KrisFlyer. For those folks that are looking for miles to take advantage of the increased premium cabin award space that Singapore gives its own members, this might be worth a look-see (assuming that you’re targeted).
- Get a 20% bonus when transferring American Express Membership Rewards to Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.
- Bonus is targeted
- Must log-in and visit partner transfer dashboard in order to see if you’re account has the bonus
- Minimum transfer is 1000 Membership Rewards points and must transfer in 1,000 miles increments.
- Valid from 12:00 a.m. MT on 12/1/23 to 11:59 p.m. MT on 12/31/23, or while supplies last.
- Generally, transfers are immediate but please allow up to 72 hours for the transfer to be completed.
Singapore KrisFlyer has some ok partner sweet spots, but the main reason most folks want to acquire miles is for travel on Singapore Airlines. Singapore offers much better premium award availability to members of its own program and it can be useful to have them if trying to get to Asia or Europe from the US. Prices are high, but having access to a 20% sweetener makes them much more palatable.
For instance, earlier this year, I was able to fly roundtrip business between NYC and Frankfurt on Singapore and loved the experience. We booked on a great Black Friday sale using the 35% Amex Business Platinum premium cabin discount. However, Singapore’s saver award price for that flight in business is 81K each way…on the upper edge of reasonable for a US-Europe flight. With this transfer bonus, you could get enough miles by transferring 68K Membership Rewards points, about the same price that I paid on that cash sale.
Something important to consider is that Krisflyer miles expire after 36 months and they don’t currently provide any way of extending the expiration date. You’ll therefore want to be fairly sure that you’ll be able to redeem the miles by December 2026 before transferring.
Best Uses for Singapore Krisflyer
- Business or first class from the US to Singapore. While award prices are high, Singapore KrisFlyer has much better availability in premium cabins for their own members and it's a marvelous way to cross the Pacific. They also offer a stopover on a one-way award. Pricing is 107K / 111.5K from the West Coast / East Coast to Singapore in business class or 146.5K / 148.5K in first class (see the full award chart here).
- Business or economy class from US to Europe. Singapore offers redemptions from the US East Coast and Midwest in business class starting from 81,000 miles each way, and this includes Singapore's own fifth freedom routes from Houston to Manchester and New York to Frankfurt. Economy starts at 25K each way.
- Premium travel within North America. Using Singapore miles, you can book partner awards with both United and Air Canada and pricing is often better than if you booked using either airlines' own currency. A roundtrip business/first class trip within North America can be had for only 52,000 miles.
Things to Know
- How to find awards: Search for available space at United.com (Note: Do not log in — logging in may show you expanded availability based on your credit card or elite status that is not available for partner bookings) or SingaporeAir.com.
- How to book awards: Book online at SingaporeAir.com or over the phone with Singapore KrisFlyer. Can waitlist as many options as you’d like as long as you have enough miles to book the award being waitlisted.
- Miles expire three years after issue.
- Transfers to Singapore KrisFlyer are now instant from Amex Membership Rewards and typically take around 7 hours from Capital One and Chase (slightly longer from Citi).
- Waitlisted itineraries that do not clear by 14 days prior to departure will get canceled.
- Transfer from: Amex, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Marriott